The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used tank a while back and the guy had just bagged up his wet gravel. We are doing a sand/flourite mix for the plants, but wanted to use some of his gravel for looks. My question is this: with it having been sacked up and wet for all this time (about 3 weeks), and having had it in his tank with his fish (unknown on everything about that part)... should I
1) use it as is
2) rinse it off and use it
3) boil it to kill off anything in it and use it
4) not use it at all

Please help! I need to do the finish work tomorrow as I have fish on the way and have to finish the tank set up (cloning the tank from out other tank - except for the gravel). Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If you want to use it to help kick start the cycle then boiling it will negate any effect it might have for doing so. As would rinsing it and letting it dry.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You can :-

1) Wipe and drench everything with H2O2. Then consider it a new aquarium free from any pathogens harmful to your fish & plants. You will have to cycle it like you would a new aquarium.

2) Just reset it directly and then you will find that the aquarium has cycled very fast. You might be lucky that it does not carry pathogens, or unlucky that it does.

Your free choice.

I am a lazy person, impatient and a gambling kind; I would personally opt for resetting it just like that and put in lots of plants and a few live bearer ofsprings from my other tanks and watch.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, now I know what I need to do today!

Appreciate everyone's time and ability to help me sort this out. You guys are super. Everyone have a great upcoming weekend. God bless.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would use it as is, cycle faster, maybe use a uv if you have one.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I did a vinegar soak, and am about to take it out of the soaking bucket and let it dry. THEN I can put it in the tank without worrying about it. Thought of it only because we were doing a vinegar soak as a cleaning on a used tank that was pretty nasty with crud. Works like a charm and doesn't hurt the fish if you accidentally leave a little in the tank. Just lowers the ph a little (at least that's my understanding).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts