The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I would like to ask some advice on whats wrong with my thank and my plants.
I have a 70 gallon tank, whater parameters ok, daily dose of EasyCarbo, weekly dose of Profito, 6 hours a day light at the strongest intensity from a JBL solar natur, not apropriate soil (pool gravel) and my plants look like this, with very small grouth. Can it be bad fertilization? To mutch ou not enough light? Any help would be greatfull, im a bit lost...

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
If that happened to me I would dial down the lights to 30% intensity and focus on increasing co2 until I started seeing strong growth before looking at the other ferts.

Be patient because crypts take a while to respond.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I am not familiar enough with the light to say if the light is too high or not high enough. But I will say that crypts melting all their old growth before putting out new leaves is EXTREMELY COMMON. Its so common people just refer to it as crypt melt. It can happen even if you dig them up and put them down again in the same tank.

That said, Profito advertises that it provides no nitrates or phosphates which means its not actually providing everything plants need. They are relying on a heavy dose of fish poop and leftover decaying fish food to provide the rest. I find that in a tank with just one or two plants and a lot of fish this is a good way to go. For anything else its not a great choice for fertilizer, especially for a new tank that doesn't have any existing mulm buildup. I'd use a different fertilizer as well.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. Ill lower the intensity a bit and try other fertilizer ;)
Looks like you have a sword plant in there too- I'd strongly recommend root tabs for swords as they primarily get there nutrients from their roots.
Crypt melt is a given... I'm a million times more surprised when it doesn't happen than when it does. Just remember to have patience and remove dead and mushy growth so you don't start a mini cycle. Good luck!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Iron gluconate will stir Crypts into larger leaves and sword plants also just live to eat the iron. Java ferns do better with more potassium.
The plants don't look bad..just that you need more- some stems and groups.
The Sword also looks planted too high- I can see roots. They do have a bad habit of doing that..you have to watch that they have gravel around them.
Go get some Rotala rotundifolia..its a sure thing to thrive and easy to prune. Should help balance the tank out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies, learning a lot.
Just to be clear, since im Portuguese and the names are diferent, and google isn’t helping. 1 and 3 picture are Crypts, 2 is the Sword and the last picture de Java Fern correct?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes. Two is the sword..might be a melon sword,can't say for sure. But it does need to have more gravel poured around it..maybe a small rock also to make sure its held in place and roots.
You could just push it down- but that risks breaking those healthy white roots and a setback..if not in time,then in death of the plant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. Two is the sword..might be a melon sword,can't say for sure. But it does need to have more gravel poured around it..maybe a small rock also to make sure its held in place and roots.
You could just push it down- but that risks breaking those healthy white roots and a setback..if not in time,then in death of the plant.
Will do it asap, carefully take it out and replant ;) thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.