The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it rains, it pours. In my little world lately it has been a series of class 5 hurricanes. Ok so I might be getting carried away, but I have been struck with some bad luck of late and I want to ask advice from any of my fellow aquatic gardeners who have personal experience to share. I will summarize as briefly as possible the info pertinent, but I am mostly looking to hear from anyone that had to make a tough choice similar to my situation. My first heavily plant tank(see my profile for the basic info) has had its bumps but I have to admit, considering I decided to jump into this side of the hobby, counting on my years with other tanks(easy right?) I have been happy by the result. A few weeks ago, it started. Green hair algae began popping up in my java moss and on the exposed driftwood. I have critters to consume it and I was able to manually keep it minimal. I have tons of light but DIY co2 which I realize isn’t optimal, also i have elevated levels of phosphate. This has been the case for over 4 months but i have been working it out and things had been growing really fast. Anyway a few weeks ago, my car’s motor blew up (I had no $ to fix it). My Mom shattered her ankle badly and I have been trying to help my folks out when I can get across town. My girlfriend and I had to put our dog to sleep. Lastly, I got the flu, missed work, and couldn’t afford fix my car or go to the Dr. to find out if it was h1n1… Sorry 'bout venting, but the bottom line is that I totally compromised my tank during this time, the plants needed trimming and grew to the surface, my foreground species: java moss, riccia, glossostigma, dbt, lilaeopsis, cr. parva have been infused with gsa, then I bought 40 gallons of RO water that I didn’t test (the source had a tear in the membrane; oops I paid for very hard tap water full of NO3 and PO4 ph7.9 dkh 12. So with my lack of time, energy, or money: my beautiful scape has become entangled in this stringy mess. I have read tons of info, mostly from everyone here, and I set up a new 10 gallon and am trying some of the common methods of dip/bathing my plants. Potassium permanganate 20-30 min, H2O2 rinse, even 2-3 min. 5% bleach, even some combinations NOT together mind you, safety first! So far the plants I have tried (I have plenty or easy access to more) are looking fine and it seems to have killed most of the algae. I am worried about some of my other plants, which I don’t want to risk (hard to find for me/slow growing/my propagated babies). I need your reassurance/advice on these specific plants. What have you done? Did it work? What died? Thank you for anyone who offers help. The plants I worry about, crypt parva, dwarf baby tears. I have read mixed things so I will ask about mosses, and riccia. Is there any way to treat these or should i toss 'em and get new? I have pics on my profile and image hosting of the tanks or can fill in any details if you can help me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the my 40 gallon breeder has 3 sae's and 3 garra species that I got when they were less than an inch long (that i assumed were sae's until they grew up). I also have 3 algae eating shrimp and breeding zebra shrimp. I may end up tearing down the tank to start a new aquascape layout, so i dont want to add more fish yet.

·
Banned
332 Posts
First manual removal, have you considered excel as both a carbon source and algaecide. Also locally applied for spot treatment. Otherwise water changes as large as you can do as often as you can do them. Look into black outs as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.