The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to remove as much wool as possible, but it kept removing the roots of the dhg too! I just left the rest of the wool (I did tried to remove as much wool as I could) and put the dhg in the tank bunched up together.

Will the dhg die that way? Will the wool affect the water of my tank or harm the fish? I always left some wool to other plants I bought before, but this one I left more wool on.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It will be fine with the rock wool. Fish will be fine.

Whether it survives your tank conditions is another story. I hear it can be tricky to grow. It might not die, but it might now grow if you don't provide enough nutrients and co2 for it. Even then I've heard some people have it brown out. Just a touchy plant it seems. Just thought I'd mention.

Just for future reference, it helps to remove the rock wool while it's submersed. Put the plant under some water (in a bowl) and pull off the wool underwater. Swish it around in the water every so often to loosen it up. Just makes it a bit easier so you get more wool off and rip off less roots.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I'm dosing excel every other day and Flourish comp, iron and potassium every few days a week. I hope it's enough for the dhg. If not, then at least I tried!

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It's fine if the roots come off. It's the crowns between leaves and roots that matter. Try using something skinny to comb the wool out and plant in very small clumps of half a dozen crowns or less so runners can land in new ground.

You can trim the leaves off now or wait until they brown. If you bought HG in a pot then it was grown in air and those leaves will die. I've been growing the stuff for more than a decade and it will look okay for a week, old leaves will die and you will think plant is dead then look very closely and you will see bright green new leaves the week after that. Then plants will sit for a while but in time you will see fine runners growing or maybe just new leaves popping up away from the original clumps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
finiteyoda: that's a good idea for future plant purchases. Thank you!

Kathyy: Yes, it came in a pot.The dhg is starting to show some brown leaves in the middle inside. I wasn't too gentle handling it. I was like "how the heck am I going to remove this?? it's 11:30pm!!! XD"

Time will tell. *_*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.