The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a Fluval Chi that I have had set up for over a year now. The only thing that has ever been in it is my betta. Last week I went to feed him and he was gone. Found his sad little carcass on the floor. He had never shown any signs of being excitable or a jumper, but I figured he must have gotten a wild hair and took a dive. So I replaced him with another betta. Within 24 hrs I found him on the floor. I figured it was time to get a top, so I ordered the plexiglass top that is made for the tank. I also did about a 30% WC, because I did have a little inkling there might be something hinky going on. Anyway, I got the top, put it on, and got another betta. I'm sure you know where this is going. This one lasted about 48 hours, then somehow managed to jump out of the little crack around the hood and the filter thing in the middle. Prior to jumping out this one was spending a lot of his time hiding behind the filter box in the middle. Otherwise he seemed normal. His color was good, seemed to breathing normally, even ate a little. The only test kits I have are pH and ammonia. Ammonia was 0 ppm and pH was 6. My pH is always around that low in an established tank, it's just barely 7 right out of the tap.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got one of those little heaters that is just preset to come on if the temp gets below a certain level. I know those can be crappy, but it's always seemed to work so far. Temp stays around 76. I guess I'll pick up a nitrate kit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, I'd check for nitrates first. The reason I asked about the heater is that sometimes heaters can malfunction and cause a little current to leak into the tank-which would explain the series of jumpers you've had.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
You need to make sure all the holes are covered. This can be done pretty easily using velcro and some breathable, mesh type of fabric that will allow air exchange but keep the betta safely inside.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm definitely getting a nitrate test tomorrow after work. And interesting you said that about the heater - that was my first thought initially, but from what I read online I should be able to feel a little shock when I touch the water. Thanks for your help - I'll post when I get the nitrates tested tomorrow.

·
Registered
969 Posts
i suggest a 50% WC every other day for the next week or so. You won't even need to check your nitrates this way since you are removing 50% each time. You can never overdo water changes.

I had the same issue with my rasboras during acclimation. I literally covered everything and said to myself, ahh they cant get outta this small hole. IF the fish wants to go full retard, it will find a way let me just say. Now compared to the 2nd time i acclimated some rasboras, the only difference was that first time i had dirt in the quarantine tank which released tons of tannis into the water. AKA bad water quality. 2nd time, 0 jumpers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I got my test kits.

Nitrate and Nitrite both 0 ppm. Ph 5.5, GH 25, and alkalinity between 40 and 60. I'm thinking to be safe I should just tear down the whole thing, replace the substrate, and get a new heater. I figure it's either the heater or there something crazy in the water - any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just using plain aquarium gravel. The only plants are in the top filter/fountain thing where I have a carpet of java moss with some pennywort growing up out of the moss.

For comparisons sake I just tested my water straight from the tap. All the values were the same except the pH - which still only came in at 6. My water is always like this. In my shrimp tank, which is heavily planted, I have to really keep up with my water changes or the pH will totally bottom out - and I have crushed coral in the filter.

Do you think this could the the issue? The first betta had been in there for over a year, and I actually have a betta in my shrimp tank with the same pH.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I admit I am kinda stumped here. It's just so odd you had that many dive out in such a short time that I can't believe it's a coincidence. So I'd do what you were thinking, rip it all apart and start again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I can't see this being a coincidence, either. I don't mind starting from scratch except for the filter/fountain. It really looks sharp with the moss and pennywort, but if I grew it once I guess I can grow it again. I was tempted to just leave that part intact, but I don't want to risk killing some poor little betta if there is something in the water.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.