The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is what i was thinking:

bottom:
2x kirbensis (i dont necessarily want broods, so maybe 2 females?)
3x small loach, maybe yoyo

top:
2x dwarf gouramis
2x glass cats

middle:
i have no idea, maybe some tetras, or rasboras. i want something that schools nicely, and stays fairly small.

any ideas for the middle of the tank?

and will the kribs be ok with the loaches? there will be plenty of hiding spots and caves for them.

blaaahhhh, i hate this, it takes me forever to make up my mind about fish...

·
Registered
226 Posts
For the middle I'd go with a school of zebra danios. Pretty hardy and good movement.

If you want something more colorful neons. Although they are less hardy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do not recommend Dwarf Gouramis if you have a planted tank. I had some and they loved to make bubble nests with my plants.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Loaches--I would see if you can find botia stiata (zebras) instead of yoyo's. I have five in my 20g and love them. Also there are a couple other small 3-4in loaches. Then you can have a bigger school. They like lots of company.

Glass Cats--they need a bigger school than 2. I've heard five or more is good.

Dwarf gouramis--I have a honey gourami and love him. No problems in a planted tank. He and my betta didn't get along so well though. Maybe just get one gourami.

Middle fish--I wouldn't get danios. They really stay at the top more, and personally they are a little too zippy for me. I like Harlequin rasboras, white clouds, and glowlight tetras. They all school pretty tight. There are also quite a few other medium size tetras that are gorgeous. Here is a good sight to look at pics of them on. http://www.myfishtank.net/freshwaterprofiles.php?

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
zebra danios are top dwellers, then again so are the whiteclouds. blue tetras are nice and looks like you have no blue( depending on what dwarf gouramis) . glass cats are a schooling fish so more the better , for schooling fish i recommend 6+. kribs are cool , just make sure you dont have a breeding pair ( i know you dont want one) the aggression is to much. just to name a few besides the very usual cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras, rummynose tetras, serpae tetras ( i have heard the nippy issues , however ive always kept them with no nipping), glowlight tetras, ''gold'' neon tetras, white neon tetras, green fire tetras, or gold or cherry barbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts