The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit that I am by no means an expert on planted tanks. I've read A LOT here over the past year, but my oldest tank has been running for just 4 months or so. I recently built a DIY tank divider for my 90 gal tank (which I've been meaning to post in the DIY section, but haven't gotten around to yet). I just stuck a few plants over there to grow out as ROAKs for newbs needing fast growers, but recently added the fish and a few snails that survived my 10g DIY CO2 disaster.

Here's the mystery: the tank has a TON of algae growing on the side of the divider with the Oscar and Convict and it's crystal clear on the plant/temp home side. I was under the impression that algae needed light and nutrients to grow. Both should be identical on each side of the divider since the filter picks up water on the big fish side and dumps it out on the little fish/plant side. So what's up with this pic!?!?!?!?

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
that is super weird, I have absolutely no clue... research it is the only advice i can give you...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Maybe the convict food/poop is making your PO4 go through the roof, and the NH4 spike on his side allowed algae to take hold. Even if it is only a divider, I would have to think the circulation between them is not as stellar as an undivided tank. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I agree with FN. Looks like you need more plants in there anyhow.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, fresh, that the circulation is not as good as it would be with no divider, but wouldn't the PO4 and NH4 be dissolved in the water and therefore still pumped to the other side of the tank?

Actually, now that I think about it, since the intake for the filter is on the Oscar/Convict side, maybe my filter is just doing a stellar job of neutralizing the waste products before it gets to the plant side. Since the water would be flowing from right to left, perhaps it's just not pumping the water out of the Oscar/Convict side before it has a chance to take hold.

Anyway, I just found it interesting and was wondering what you all would think about it. Thanks for the responses.

Betowess, yeah, I agree I need more plants :) Like I said, that corner was really just more of a nursery than anything else so I could ROAK stuff and give back to out little community here. Unfortunately, putting any plants on the Oscar/Convict side won't work as the O has a tendency to rearrange (read: tear up) anything I put over there. He's an hornery little...well, big....punk. :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
as an oscar lover myself... I'm suprised youve managed to keep any plants in place with him in there. ;)

I would tend to think the algea problem is from the fact that oscars tend to be very 'messy' fish. One fish creats a VERY high bioload. Ive had the same problem untill I added large plecos then *poof* algea issue gone. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts