The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank is having snail!! i think it ram horn or something and they are all over the place, they only show up on the wood at night time, but day time you dont really see them....how do you get rid of them!?!?!?!? help!!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't know if it works for all snails, but I've read here that you can wilt a piece of lettuce (dip it in hot water) then put it in the tank. You may have to weigh it down. The snails will mass on it to feed - just remove the lettuce with the snails & dispose of them. Not outdoors! Don't let the critters get loose as they are pests & most likely not native.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Add some Botia or Loaches. Also try Assassin Snails. Puffers.

You can bait them, trap them or squish them with your fingers till the cows come home but it'll be useless... you'll never get them all.

Find something that will eat them and keep them under control.

·
Registered
173 Posts
driftwoodhunter is correct this is a very effective means to manually remove them. Personally I suggest getting an assassin snail or two or more depending on the size of your tank. I think these snails look good and they will work all day eating snails. Its surprising how much of a difference just a few of them can make.

I was battling a snail problem in my 55g that seemed to never end, got a few assassin snails and they cleared it right up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank and I will give it a try!! i really have no ideas how they got there... assassin snail seen cool! i have a 30 gallon, how many should i get?

·
Registered
436 Posts
+1 on assasins. Most other fish that eat snails are either bigger or need to be kept in a group. assasins are really the small tanks savior if you dont like your snails. They dont bother me in the 220, but my 10 gal has about 500 or so, so time for an assasin for me too!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm....i think it came from the plant i brought, but i checked the plant and dont see any snail

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a snail issue in my 55 gal. Got 2 assassin snails about a month ago and except for some of the really small ones they are all gone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had both ramshorns and pond snails. I got 3 assassins for my 12 gal and they helped, but what helped the most was putting my tank on a light and food starvation diet for a week (family emergency and nobody available to come and feed the fish). I came back nervous about what I would find and discovered that all my fish were good, all my nerites and assassins were good, and I haven't seen a pest snail since.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I have snails in my grow out tank. There have never been any fish, and I have never put food in the tank. Not even one single time.

There are still plenty of pond snails, although they are all very small compared to the snails in my main tank. There are a host of other weird things living in the tank also. Copepods and such that are likely eradicated very quickly in a fish inhabitted aquarium.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts