The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am redoing an aquarium. I have to remove one of the glasses fitted with silicone rubber 7 years ago, as it has become scratched. The glass is fitted from inside the aquarium onto a 3/4" frame. As the glass is 20mm thick and is 72"X 24" I do not want it to crack for I can always reuse it for the base of an aquarium.

I have scraped out all the silicone rubber I could reach with blades, but still cannot move the glass.

Does anyone know what solvent I can use for loosening the silicon I have been unable to reach to with my blade?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Try looking for a thinner razor blade. I have taken a part many aquariums for the glass and end up using an exacto knife, or those really thin razor blades. You have to get the blade in beween the 2 pieces of glass and then slowly slide it down keeping the pressure off of the glass.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The best way to remove silicone between two pieces of glass is to use a thin wire like piano wire,hold both ends and use it like a saw back and forth.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I was building this aquarium, I remember applying the silicone very lightly to the granite frame then pushing the glass with my legs as I braced against the opposite wall of the aquarium and using all my strength before putting the braces in place. Now I regret I made it so well.

I was worried that silicone would not make a good adhesion with granite, so I made an aquarium with granite sheet using epoxy, leaving the front open except for a granite frame made with 2” granite strips. It is into this frame that I pushed the glass from inside the aquarium. I have been looking for a gap for 3 days to get a piano wire in but I regret I made it so well.

So their; I have been looking for a solvent.

If I can’t find an appropriate one, I will take chance with carbon-tetra chloride, injecting it with a syringe into the corner of the frame from both sides. A very slight pressure exerted continuously will help the solvent work better. So some wooden shims tapped in between the frame and the front of the glass

I must be careful that the pressures at different points are close equals, else the glass will crack.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:bounce: All in one piece:angel:
Thanks everyone:biggrin:​

1 - 5 of 5 Posts