The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summary: Fully cycled tank was introduced plants first, then fish, then cherry shrimp. A few weeks later, plants and shrimp are thriving; but the guppies are dying one at a time every couple of days. I've now replaced all of the original fish, and 3 of the 4 new ones have died as well.
  • 5G tank, heater, 2wpg daylight spectrum
  • sand substrate (with dash of small gravel and pebble accents)
  • 1 big rock, and 1 piece driftwood
  • completed full fishless cycle (dosed w/ pure ammonia), tested daily with API tests until both Ammonia and Nitrite finished spiking, then did 50% water change
  • added Red Ludwigia and Java Fern Moss first
  • added 2 male guppies, 3 days later - 2 more male guppies
  • added 5 cherry shrimp (mixed sizes)
  • Current chemistry: Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates<5, pH=6.6
I'm not seeing any obvious signs of disease. Some of the tails looked damaged just before death (but I assumed it was just aggressive male guppy behavior). Time from listless, wobbly behavior to death was overnight. Now I'm thinking maybe bacterial infection? If so, how do I treat without affecting shrimp or plants?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Where did you get them from?
A lot of guppys are inbred and carrying diseases in them.
Best way is to keep guppys in quarantine for 2 months and give them something against intrenal parasites and other diseases.

·
Registered
211 Posts
May sound like a dumb question, but I'm assuming you have some sort of filter on the tank? You didn't mention anything, so thought I would ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filter: It's an Eclipse System 5 unit, so filter is built in (bio wheel and sponge/carbon filter unit). I upgraded the light to a 10 watt daylight spectrum CFL.

Fish: all guppies have been LFS bought (Petco), but not quarantined. Didn't think I'd have to!

Latest update: final guppy departed for the great aquarium in the sky, so I went with Rasboras. Went much slower with the introduction this time. Instead of floating them for 15-20 mins, I did a slow drip up to 200% of the original bagged water, then netted them and introduced them. So far so good!

But the question remains: why would the plants and RCS being doing so well and the fish keep dying? My only guess was that the LFS pH was like 7.6, and mine is like 6.6. But if it was shock, why did they last like 3-4 days?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing obvious - and believe me, after the 3rd death, I was LOOKING for something... anything! All I noticed was little tail degradation just before death.
I have 1 fairly sharp LFS guy who thinks the huge change in pH caused some shock, then (with immune systems down), they were susceptible to stuff they normally wouldn't have been. ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts