The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased two juvenile German Blue Rams from my LFS and was told I was receiving a male and female pair. The staff member identified my 'male' from it's brighter colours, however having a pinkish stomach I believe they may have made a mistake. Could someone please try to identify the sex of both fish 1 & 2 from the images below.

Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Tough when they're young; but I'd guess you have 2 females there. Besdies some of the indicators noted in the photos above, you can sometimes use the anal fin as a guide. The anal fin on males tend to be longer and usually extends past the joint between the body and caudal fin whereas the female's anal fin is usually shorter and does not extend past that joint between the body and caudal fin.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
So far they both look female as of right now.

Try taking a pic again in a few days after they adjust to their new tank and color back up.

2nd one definitely looks female to me.
1st one looks female right now, but still might be a male since the black dot does look to possibly have a lot of blue in it and I can't really see the end of the dorsal fin.

Not sure what age female rams can start getting pink bellies (how young?). I have heard of breeders (not the LFS) using hormones on the fish and even males can get temporary pink bellies, but I think this practice is normally only done on balloon/angel rams, but might still be possible?.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts