The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I'm coming back to the hobby after nearly 15 years. Started my first planted tank and now that i put the fish i am a little bit confused. At the LFS i asked for a pair of Electric Blue Balloon Rams, but im not sure if the vendor really gave me a male and a female. At first i thought that one is clearly a male (the long finned), but im not sure anymore.
So, i call for help from the fishmasters: based on the pictures ,is this really a couple? Im starting to think that are two females.
Plus, the long finned one are very agressive towards the other, constantly harassing her(?).
The tank is a 7 gallon that houses only the two rams and five Red Cherry Shrimps (the rams dont mess with the shrimps at all, just ignore them).

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Marine biology
Plant Plant community Botany Leaf Nature
Plant Underwater Organism Terrestrial plant Fish
Water Plant Underwater Natural environment Fin

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It does look like a male and female based on the first couple of rays on the dorsal fin, but that may not necessarily be true with balloon rams. They could just be a male and a female but not a pair... Keep an eye on them and make sure there's plenty of places for the non aggressor to hide. Giving them some dither fish might help but I don't think your tank is really big enough for more fish. I hope things work out!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why are those things so short. Their organs are being crushed because they have a shortened spine it isn’t good for the fish

Why are those things so short. Their organs are being crushed because they have a shortened spine it isn’t good for the fish definitley male and female if one has different fins and is harassing the other that’s what dwarf chiclids do in a tank to small

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I dont see any definitive signs of male or female, they dont look to be sexually mature as yet. When they are ready-- and providing have male and female-- the female will get a marked red belly. Make sure to add some flat rocks or a very small terra cotta saucer- they spawn on flat surfaces.
Having 2 in a tank that bicker is par for the course-- welcome to a tank with Rams. :)

The OP didnt ask for your opinion on the type of fish he /she is breeding or keeping. It wasnt a "what do you think of ballon rams" post. If you dont like the fish or disapprove of others keeping when your opinion is NOT sought- keep scrolling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rams that don't mess with shrimp? that's like a dream come true. I won't temp fate and try in my own tank, I doubt I am that lucky. Super jealousy of your rams.
Yes! That's awesome, isn't it? I was worried about adding the rams, since the cherries were inhabiting the tank earlier. When i research about rams and cherries cohabitating i found something like a 20/80 ratio of sucess, guess im a bit lucky, for sure! Maybe adding the rams later could be a source of sucess in this case.

It does look like a male and female based on the first couple of rays on the dorsal fin, but that may not necessarily be true with balloon rams. They could just be a male and a female but not a pair... Keep an eye on them and make sure there's plenty of places for the non aggressor to hide. Giving them some dither fish might help but I don't think your tank is really big enough for more fish. I hope things work out!!
Oh, i hope you're right! But what you said makes sense, even though they are male and female they could be not a pair. If that's the case i think they'll don't get along at all, right? I'll keep an eye, for sure! And yeah, im not planning to add no other fish to the tank.

I dont see any definitive signs of male or female, they dont look to be sexually mature as yet. When they are ready-- and providing have male and female-- the female will get a marked red belly. Make sure to add some flat rocks or a very small terra cotta saucer- they spawn on flat surfaces.
Having 2 in a tank that bicker is par for the course-- welcome to a tank with Rams. :)
Oh, do you think that's the case? Well, for sure they are young: i bought them just a day after they arrived at the LFS. I'll keep an eye as they grow bigger. I do have a flat rock already! Good to know that a little agression is nothing unusual.

Thanks for all the responses!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.