The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used Victor regulator. It was used on oxygen, and I know I have to change out the tank connector, but why is there an empty hole on the regulator? The regulators I've used before only had an in and a out?

Also, what is that device that is threaded in the other port?

Which port do I use for my output and what do I do with the other one?

The only markings on the back are "IN" and "HP". The high pressure gauge is in the "HP" port.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
There are different type gases used. Some it is okay for the pressure relief to be released close by. But things like O2 are too dangerous to let any over pressure be released at that point so it is piped out to a safe spot.

Side note: You may need to verify that the reg will cut the pressure down to what we can use.

·
Registered
126 Posts
... Side note: You may need to verify that the reg will cut the pressure down to what we can use.
[STRIKE]Good catch![/STRIKE] Many oxygen regulators have high working pressures, but not all. [STRIKE]If my vision is correct, it has a 0 to 1400 psi low pressure gauge. [/STRIKE]

We normally use regulators that have a low pressure gauge of from 0 to 30 psi up to 0 to 200 psi. These have working pressure limits of from 2-15 to 5-125 psig. Below is a list showing the working pressure ranges with the common low pressure gauges used with each application. Note that as the working pressure range increases, its lower pressure limit also increases. [STRIKE]The oxygen regulator above might not be able to control pressures below approximately 20 psig.[/STRIKE] Victor regulators have an eight digit part number that looks like this: XXXX-XXXX Maybe BriDroid would want to want to research it. [STRIKE]I suggest that BriDroid should consider not using it for aquarium CO2 use. There are many other regulators to be had.
[/STRIKE]
(2-15 psig) working pressure and a (0-30) psi low pressure gauge
(2-40 psig) working pressure and a (0-60) psi low pressure gauge
(4-80 psig) working pressure and a (0-100) psi low pressure gauge
(5-125 psig) working pressure and a (0-200) psi low pressure gauge
(10-200 psig) working pressure and a (0-500) psi low pressure gauge
(10-300 psig) working pressure and a (0-1000) psi low pressure gauge
(20-500 psig) working pressure and a (0-1500) psi low pressure gauge

psi = pressure per square inch
psig = pressure per square inch at the gauge

I misread the regulator's low pressure gauge. I struckthough my misguided advice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gosh! I apologize. I looked at the black numbers on the gauge instead of the red ones that indicate psi.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I can read neither but assumed it might be a problem that could be overlooked. Double checking is always good when there are questions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
...I was told it's a 2 stage regulator.
It seems like I'm determined to burst your bubble and I'm not. Two stage regulators have a hump on the back for the other stage. Single stage regulators are basically flat on the back. Your regulator has a basically flat back. It happens to be a single stage regulator. It may be a SR250D some what like this one. exploded view It should be marked with this information on the edge of its body like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts