The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I received some plants today that I bought from a member. They arrived partialy frozen eventhough I requested heat packs. Anything I can do or are they all doomed??
Here is a list of the plants:

Anubias Nana, Anubias "Coffeefolia", Java Fern, Giant Jungle Vallisneria runners, Narrow leaf swords plantlets, Tiger Lotus plantlets
Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon' and Hygrophila Agustiafolia

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
anything fine or hollow stemmed is doomed.
heat packs add up to $5 to the total cost
so unless you offered to pay for it, you
can't blame the seller for not including it.
ask the seller to resend more plants in a
Month when the weather is warmer, and
use first class mail to keep his costs down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I received a shipment frozen once as well. Still looking like they might be okay, I planted the works. Only to have a decaying disaster on my hands in less than a week. Had to pull the works.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If they're frozen, toss them.

Water is contained in the cells of the plants. Water will expand when it freezes and is actually least dense at around 4*C. As it expands, it will rupture the cells. Anything frozen is pretty much dead.

For the anubias, you might try trimming the leaves and see if the rhizome will sprout new ones.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't toss them, try to revive them. A crazy Finnish aquarist froze down some plants on purpose to see if they can survive. The list included: Pistia, Ceratophyllum, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Java fern, Salvinia & Anubias nana. All of them made it! Another brought home some plant from LFS during the coldest time of the year - the plants were covered in frost. Survivors: A Swordplant, Java fern, & Ammania sp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. I put them in my tank and am trying to baby them but most seem to just be melting. The ends are becoming translucent and then disintegrating. I will post a couple pictures to show damage. Maybe it's not all from being frozen but I suspect it is.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
snip those damaged leaves off...let all of the energy in the plant go to making new ones not keeping the damaged ones going. I bet you will be ok.

·
Registered
974 Posts
floating is a good idea....Less mess if they don't make it and gives them a better chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts