The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone....I'm new to The Planted Tank however, I have had a planted tank for almost 1 year now. However, recently I am noticing a bit of a problem. I am finding that my pH is actually dipping quite low into the 5.5-6 range within my tank. I have tested my water from the tap: pH-7.0, GH 2.24, KH 0.56.....the GH and KH in the tank remain the same but the pH is usually in the 5.5-6 range. I am doing a injected CO2 obviously, which usually ranges in the 20-30ppm. I know the problem here is my buffering capacity, as I seem to have none. The question I am having is....would it be viable to add about a 2 lb piece of Texas Holy Rock to the aquarium and continue to use the CO2, with ferts and lights etc, and have a more stable pH......I'm hlooking to stay in the 6.5-7.5 range....let me know what you think, if you have any ideas, or need more info!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Gafi;1468897... I have tested my water from the tap: pH-7.0 said:
I'd say that unless your keeping fish or other livestock that require extremely soft water, your GH and KH are low.

Everyone one is different, but I usually have my GH about 6.0 and KH about 4. GH can be raised using any of the GH builder products out there. KH can be raised with baking soda. In all cases raise the levels slowly. The good part is that these additives are comparatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I suggest raising the KH to 1 dKH or a bit higher. That will stabilize the pH adequately. It makes no difference if it is stable at 5.5 or 6.5 or 7.5. And, that small increase in KH can safely be done in one step.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I suggest raising the KH to 1 dKH or a bit higher. That will stabilize the pH adequately. It makes no difference if it is stable at 5.5 or 6.5 or 7.5. And, that small increase in KH can safely be done in one step.
yup!, thanks Hoppy for the support

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.