The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Rio + 50 set it up this morning. No noise at all. But now that I came home from work. This thing is super noisy. Any way to remedy this issue? I tried taking apart the bottom where the intake impeller is and it looks okay. Don't know why it sounds like its grinding up something. Anyone have any experience with Rio powerhead products?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had that problem with a different brand. When I got to looking at the impeller shaft, I saw that the impeller had a tab on the bottom of it that was supposed to engage against the magnet when it started spinning. It was jumping up off of the magnet and making that grinding noise every time that it tried to re-seat. I used a dab of epoxy to physically join the impeller to the magnet. This was several years ago and it hasn't make a sound since then.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The reason that exists is to help slow start the pump, and to protect the motor in the even that something blocks the impeller.
If it is a new product, there is no reason to put up with that. So glad our country enacted legislation that forces things to be guaranteed for a year, and the buyer gets to choose, repair, exchange or refund.

My superglue is permanently on my desk as my old millennium filter is on the glue train and hard to get parts for.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I gave up on Taam Rio products years and years ago. There's a trail of my rants on Reefcentral.

Nordic got it right. Return it.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Part of it is in the design. For alternates that are quiet, I finally tried a Koralia and I now will buy nothing else. I like the smallest one they called "nano" both for the quiet and the mounting system using suction cups with a magnet. They will stay in place.
Bit pricey but I will pay for quiet.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Possible to try to change the noise by moving it away from anything hard to vibrate against? I find strapping some to wood décor rather than the tank walls will cut the noise pretty good. Maybe try just hanging it suspended in the water to see the difference that might make?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Idk what I did but I don't hear the noise anymore. Maybe it was just trapped air. I reduced it as low as possible. Just enough to make some ripples. Trying to figure out the best way to circulate the tank. I have the water flow on the right side going vertical and the power head opposite of it. Is that good?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.