The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Marineland Visi-Therm Submersible Heater 50W and I noticed that there's a little play between the glass cylinder and the top plastic part.

I am seriously concerned that this product might be defective and I need help!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
A pic showing what you are referring to might help so it can be determined if it poses a potential danger.

But from the sounds of it, it seem like water could get inside the heater where the electrical components are? I would worry of electrical shock.
Maybe you can test it out by placing it submersed in a container of water (with no fish in it) and use some electrical tester to see if it picks up an electrical current throughout the water. Guess you could touch the water to see if it's electrified too, but I don't recommend doing so.

If it appears water would clearly get in, then I would assume that is a defect.

You can also call the company and address your concern. If they determine it is defective, they should help you along the process of returning the defective item if you can't return to the store.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Yeah it doesn't sound good, even if I'm having trouble picturing it. Fortunately heaters are cheap. Even more fortunately, the traditional "dependable" heaters (Jagers) seem to be having problems with recent manufacturing run quality control, so there seems to be little sense in shelling out more than a standard price for one.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
For heaters: When in doubt, throw it out.

From what you have described, no that part is definitely not supposed to be loose.

Heaters are about the cheapest part of the aquarium and it shows. Those VisiTherms especially have gone downhill in quality. They used to be made in Italy and were pretty solid. I have a 9 year old VisiTherm 250watt that works fine. Now they're made in China and they're garbage. Get an Eheim Jager or something of equivalent quality.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Be sure to do your homework (check reviews) on any heaters you are considering. As Kevmo mentioned, Eheim Jagers seem to be getting quite a few complaints recently. I've recently been searching for a quality heater and AqueonPros seem like they are among the best nowadays. Don't just blindly believe me or anyone, research for yourself to be more certain.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have been ranting against the shabby quality of heaters for over a year. Yes, 100% if you are questioning a heater you have to throw it out.
with 10 tanks (8 currently heated) it seems I have ordering and replacing heaters every few months...

When I started in this hobby, circa 1970 my dad had a 15 gal tank with the ugliest heater on the planet, but it hung on the back and held the temp for 20 years (ok maybe only 10 years).
now they are all fancy , much more expensive and mostly crap......

someone on these boards gave a thumbs up to Eheim so I have 3 of those coming.....I hope I can stop ranting...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I think the grey outer part is just a sleeve on those. There is a rubber plug inside the glass which does the sealing.

I still miss the old type heaters That you had to pull apart to get to the set screw inside. You never accidentally adjusted those, and they lasted forever. Still have one of those.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the grey outer part is just a sleeve on those. There is a rubber plug inside the glass which does the sealing.

I still miss the old type heaters That you had to pull apart to get to the set screw inside. You never accidentally adjusted those, and they lasted forever. Still have one of those.
Most likely but I'm starting a new tank and I've read the horror stories of failed heaters so I didn't want to take the chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.