The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Something in your hardscape could be leaching minerals into the water column. I'm not that familiar with Dragon Stone, but it looks like limestone, which could be the problem. What's the substrate?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Something is doubling your KH and GH above tap water. Some hard water plants can take carbon from calcium carbonate within the water and precipitate calcium out on their leaves.

What's the sand in the waterfall? Could that be raising your hardness? Also, how does the sand waterfall work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but you either need to remove the coral sand or live with the white stuff on your plants.

My vote is to remove the sand. Your tank has extremely hard water that's not good for a lot of plants and fish. The fact that crushed coral sand works is because its grain size and weight is right. You could keep the waterfall if you get an inert sand with the right size grain. You should look into filtering sands (e.g. pool filter sand). These come in a wide range of grain sizes and are usually (always?) inert.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts