The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Hi everyone
I am new to aqua planted tanks and looking for some help please. My setup as been setup for 3 weeks now it’s a aqua one 120l tank which came new with filter pump and over head light sorry can’t give any more details about these items the instructions don’t give any more information. I have soil on bottom dragon rock which I made a underwater water fall with and have it heavily planted light on 7 hours a day and co2 6 hours a day my temperature goes from 24-26 and I use frets twice a week my tank water as been
PH 8
AMMONIA 0
NITRITE 0
NITRATE O
KH 12DROPS
GH 25 DROP

In the three weeks I have done two 25% water changes and add tetra water safe.

my problem is my plants and rocks have a white crashed powder all over them I was advised this could be a Calum problem more co2 less light which I have done but no difference I decided to check my KH AND GH AGAIN this time I checked my tap water which was KH 6 GH 10 and PH 7.5 but when I check water in my tank the reading are KH 15 GH 24 PH 7.5 and I don’t know what’s going on if someone could advise me I would be very grateful I have added to photos if it helps.

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Bedrock Water
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Bedrock Water
Plant community Plant Botany Leaf Natural environment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you rinse your sand first? Looks like residual powder from your sand stuck to algae and biofilm
Hi thanks for reply yes I sent about 30mins rinsing and cleaning sand water from rinsing was running clear before I put in tank.tank was running fine for two weeks with no white and it appeared and not gone since I did clean a lot off the leafs but was back two days later

·
Registered
124 Posts
Something in your hardscape could be leaching minerals into the water column. I'm not that familiar with Dragon Stone, but it looks like limestone, which could be the problem. What's the substrate?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What fertilizers are you using and how much of each are you dosing and how often?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Something in your hardscape could be leaching minerals into the water column. I'm not that familiar with Dragon Stone, but it looks like limestone, which could be the problem. What's the substrate?
I've used dragon stone a lot in my earlier scapes. It is inert and doesn't shed anything like that. If it isn't rinsed well the residue is orangey brown and looks like clay dust, not white so it definitely isn't from the hardscape. I've never seen anything white like that, even fungus from driftwood is more milky clear than it is white. Perhaps powder fertilizer? Did you treat the tank with any kind of medication? What about inside your canister/filter? Do you have any media in there that could have eroded down a bit or didn't get rinsed well? I know ceramic rings and the like usually come in the bag with residual powder. Can't think of anything else white like that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using JBL manado

I've used dragon stone a lot in my earlier scapes. It is inert and doesn't shed anything like that. If it isn't rinsed well the residue is orangey brown and looks like clay dust, not white so it definitely isn't from the hardscape. I've never seen anything white like that, even fungus from driftwood is more milky clear than it is white. Perhaps powder fertilizer? Did you treat the tank with any kind of medication? What about inside your canister/filter? Do you have any media in there that could have eroded down a bit or didn't get rinsed well? I know ceramic rings and the like usually come in the bag with residual powder. Can't think of anything else white like that
Hi yes all rocks were hosed and stub with tooth brush before placing in tank I use aqua furts twice a week already mixed heavily planted 10ml in 26gal tank

·
Registered
124 Posts
Something is doubling your KH and GH above tap water. Some hard water plants can take carbon from calcium carbonate within the water and precipitate calcium out on their leaves.

What's the sand in the waterfall? Could that be raising your hardness? Also, how does the sand waterfall work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something is doubling your KH and GH above tap water. Some hard water plants can take carbon from calcium carbonate within the water and precipitate calcium out on their leaves.

What's the sand in the waterfall? Could that be raising your hardness? Also, how does the sand waterfall work?
Thanks again for trying to sort this for me I believe it’s the sand in the waterfall after trying every other option it points to the sand it is coral sand it’s the only one I could get to work after spending hours watch you tube and buying lots off different sands people suggested using silicone sand but it was to fine and just floated around the water the waterfall is very cleaver the way it works is some pipe work and power head which lifts the sand and sends it down the waterfall it took me about four weeks to get it right and really don’t want to take it out see attached video

Thanks again for trying to sort this for me I believe it’s the sand in the waterfall after trying every other option it points to the sand it is coral sand it’s the only one I could get to work after spending hours watch you tube and buying lots off different sands people suggested using silicone sand but it was to fine and just floated around the water the waterfall is very cleaver the way it works is some pipe work and power head which lifts the sand and sends it down the waterfall it took me about four weeks to get it right and really don’t want to take it out see attached video
Sorry it will not let me load the video

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Do you remember the brand and type of coral sand you bought?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but you either need to remove the coral sand or live with the white stuff on your plants.

My vote is to remove the sand. Your tank has extremely hard water that's not good for a lot of plants and fish. The fact that crushed coral sand works is because its grain size and weight is right. You could keep the waterfall if you get an inert sand with the right size grain. You should look into filtering sands (e.g. pool filter sand). These come in a wide range of grain sizes and are usually (always?) inert.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to break it to you, but you either need to remove the coral sand or live with the white stuff on your plants.

My vote is to remove the sand. Your tank has extremely hard water that's not good for a lot of plants and fish. The fact that crushed coral sand works is because its grain size and weight is right. You could keep the waterfall if you get an inert sand with the right size grain. You should look into filtering sands (e.g. pool filter sand). These come in a wide range of grain sizes and are usually (always?) inert.
Thank you I will look into that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts