The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got everything right in a new tank: 70 gal. medium light, tank CO2, EI dosing, algae under control. Got the Co2 right by pushing fish to gulping for air (not intentionally) and then backed off. Everything was good, so time to add fish.

Yesterday, I added 10 new tetras. Within minutes, they were gulping for air and then floating to the bottom. Original fish are still good. I immediatley moved them to my non planted tank. Only 3 made it.

I know this is probably shock from going from LFS tank to my planted tank with CO2 and fertilizer.

What is the best way to add fish. Turn off CO2? Should 24 hours be enough? Add after the 50% water change? Anything else?

Thanks

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
What fish did you have in there to start with? Some fish are more susceptible to different/bad conditions than others.

Did you just fish them out of the bag and dumped them into the tank? Some sort of acclimatization?

Is the water at the place where you bought the fish very different from your tap water? Different kH/gH can be difficult for some fish to overcome, more so than CO2 or pH differences.

Moving fish from hard water to almost distilled water can do bad things to them.

Just guessing though. Generally speaking, there is no problem adding fish to a planted tank with CO2 and fertilizer dosing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Without knowing the water parameters it's impossible to even guess at what the exact cause was. The hardness could have a great deal to do with it. Regardless, turning the co2 off and adding an airstone for a few hours before you put the new fish in wouldn't hurt anything. Once the initial stressing of the fish is over and they are looking somewhat normal you can turn the gas back on and remove the airstone. Then observe them for a while to make sure they are getting enough oxygen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts