The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my long fin platty is having problems with her balance. Her backside is floating more than the rest.

She stopped producing babies about 6 weeks ago and now this. She is 4 years and 3 months so I'm worried that it is just that she is getting old. She will come up for target feeding and if my hand is in the water she will swim up into it (she has always done this because from a fry I used my hand to move her when cleaning the tank rather than netting her). The difference is now when she gets to my hand she appears to just sit and rest as long as my hand is in the water (yes, very anthropomorphic comment I know).

All the water parameters are fine, my other platy and plecos are still breeding like crazy.

Attached is a picture of her. It is grainy because she is in a plastic 2 gallon temp tank while I figure out what is going on.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
She almost looks pregnant. Is that possible? But yeah per @varanidguy, you'll want to check out swim bladder disease and symptoms as that is one cause that mess with their buoyancy. Based on her behavior with your hand she is definitely not feeling well and looking to comfort. If it is hard to diagnose, read about some of the more broad treatments available that treat a bunch of illnesses at once, especially since you have her in isolation which gives you more liberty. Hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: after a couple of days eating peas and shrimp she started improving. After a week she was looking great and ready to go back in the main tank. She is back in with everyone else and is doing well! I know she is old for a platty so maybe she just needed time away from everyone. 😉

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: 4 years, 8 months, still doing great! After several months of no babies, she just had another batch of babies! I guess she is doing well for an old fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts