The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am cross-posting this from my reddit account to get more traction. I am at a loss. It is my first planted tank and it seems to be going downhill every single day.

First day

Few days later.

This is today :\

FLOURISH - 2X A WEEK - 0.5 ml
FLOURISH IRON - EVERY OTHER DAY - 0.5 ml
FLOURISH EXCEL - DAILY - 0.5 ml
FLOURISH PHOSPHORUS - 2X A WEEK - 0.5 ml
FLOURISH POTASSIUM - 2X A WEEK - 1.00 ml
FLOURISH NITROGEN - 2X A WEEK - 0.3 ml
PRIME - WHEN WATER CHANGING
STABILITY - WHEN WATER CHANGING (EVERY 4 OR SO DAYS 20% WATER) - 1.25 ml

I am using CO2 at approx 1 drop per second - keeping the dropchecker at a lime green color. - Added it about 7 days ago because I thought that was the issue. I don't think think THAT was the issue.

- I have 8 red cherry shirmp added. Too soon I think... But they seem to be happy. Jumping around and all. One even molted. I added them this Tuesday, they don't bother the plants so it's not that - they prefer the driftwood to hang out on.

- Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites are 0.

- Water pH is 6.6 / 6.8

- Running Finnex PX-360 filter with 9mm liliy pipes (keeping output a little above water at night for surface agitation because I was getting a biofilm on my water)

Problems:

"Alternanthera Reineckii Mini'' - it started out good (see how much it grew!)
1. Leaves turning brown and melting off
2. Leaves developing holes
3. Roots getting a greenish slime (mold?) on them on some strands (I ended up picking them out and washing off the roots to stop the mold)

"Monte Carlo'' - it started out bad, still bad.
1. Not carpeting at all
2. Growing some type of fuzzy stuff, see the 3rd picture
3. Roots not growing into substrate
4. Leaves melting off and turning brown

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd stop dosing and do 20-50% water changes daily or every second day.

By the looks of it you started with tissue culture plants, that makes things challenging since they can be delicate (even more so if not very fresh). As long as the plants are showing new growth everything is fine, it is normal for plants to discard their leaves when first submersed since most are grown terrestrially.

With water changes and shrimp there should be very little chance of algae gaining a foothold. Just keep the water stable and clean until the plants can recover.

For reference when I start a tank I will change 50-90% of the water daily for at least a week. Until the plants are doing well adding ferts will be counterproductive. Nothing is being used right now, in fact with fresh aquasoil and plants decaying there will be a way too many nutrients in the water already.

Keep going with the CO2 though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.