The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Want to reduce the 3 lights down to one more powerful light (if possible) that I plan to hang above the tank (maybe 6" or less, to make maintenance easier) instead of sitting on the glass like they are currently. I just want to make sure there is enough PAR and enough spread to get all the plants, especially those in the foreground. Decent CRI would also be ideal so colors pop since this tank is in a central location in our home. The current Stingrays give that tank a very yellow look which I feel like washes out the plant colors.

• Tank: 40 Breeder
  • Method: Low-tech Walstad.
  • Substrate: 1" soil + 1.5" small gravel
  • Current Lighting: 3x 36" Finnex Stingray (gen 1)
  • Photo Period: 12 hours total with 3 hour siesta in middle
  • Glass lid
  • Some Floating plants

Some that I've looked at:

I've read a lot of people having issues with the power supplies on the Finnex so that makes me a little nervous. I have a 20" Nicrew ClassicLED Plus on a 20g that has been performing well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd check out the Twinstar 900S; I have the hanging version. The length I think is perfect for your tank and its always out of the way for tank maintenance. This fixture has more blue and red bulbs than most led fixtures. Be sure and get the dimmer as shown in this video

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm having a hard time finding the hanging version for a reasonable price. I suppose I could do 2 lights hanging, but then I'd need 2 dimmers/timers which is not ideal. Any other options out there?

Well, I just ordered 2 of the 36" Nicrew SkyLED Plus. The 18" Nicrew ClassicLED Plus on my 20g tall has been performing well so figured I'd try them again on the 40. I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts