The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up two nano tanks and could really use the guidance of all of you more experienced people. I have lots of questions, so hopefully you can help me.

I have had several planted tanks with low/medium lighting and have kept several kinds of java fern, anubias, swords, crypts, etc. I have decided that I want these two tanks to be tanks for some medium/high light plants.

Tank #1
Size: 10 Gallons
Lighting: 3WPG (2 florescent strip lights)
Substrate: 1.5 inches of Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil covered by 1 inch of gravel (I am currently using this substrate in my 70 gallon and it is working out very well).
Background: Black
Hardscape: Rocks
Livestock: 1 Betta, 4 Otos
Supplements: Flourish

For this tank I am planning on dosing with Flourish Excel regularly. I am looking for some plant suggestions that would work well with my lighting. I would like a carpet plant and a moss for the rocks, but other than that I'm not really sure.

Tank #2
Size 1.5 Gallons
Lighting: Need suggestions
Substrate: Sand
Hardscape: Driftwood
Livestock: 1 Betta

I am looking for suggestions on lighting. I have no experience lighting a tank this small. Can I get a regular clip on light from Home Depot, or are the expensive $40+ aquarium lights necessary? After I figure out my lighting I am looking for plant suggestions for this tank as well.

I appreciate all of the help I can get! I am still a newbie at all this. Thanks :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 6" cube which is less than 1 G and a 7" cube which is just a little over 1.5 G. I have been very happy with my set ups so I think I can share. I can't take very good pictures of the tanks because the glass is very thick and has too much imperfection so I have stopped updating my journal with pictures.

Substrate: Aquasoil

Light: Clip on 9 W that comes with the the Azoo Dazzle (cheap), not using the filter or the tank. Opted for a glass cube from craft store.

Filter: none, but air stone turns on with light for 6 hours/day

Flora: HC and Hairgrass

Fauna: started with 4 Endlers fry and now they've become young adults so 2 were recently taken out.

Hardscape: garden rocks

Excel: 3 drops/6" cube; 4 drops/7" cube daily

WC: 1/2 tank once weekly

Heater: none. Room is warm enough even in the winter so hopfully the fish will not have to be moved soon.

I have never had algae issues with these 2 tanks. HC and Hairgrass were just trimmings from main tanks and were planted sparsely initially. Now HC has grown into a nice 1/2" thick carpet. The Hairgarss has runners all over the place and I have to trim it just about once every 3 weeks.

I did use sand in one of them at one point. It did fine but I didn't keep it long enongh before I switched to Aquasoil for the look.

Tank #2
Size 1.5 Gallons
Lighting: Need suggestions
Substrate: Sand
Hardscape: Driftwood
Livestock: 1 Betta

I am looking for suggestions on lighting. I have no experience lighting a tank this small. Can I get a regular clip on light from Home Depot, or are the expensive $40+ aquarium lights necessary? After I figure out my lighting I am looking for plant suggestions for this tank as well.

:)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
For tank #1 you could pretty much try out any of the common carpet plants. Seeing as how you're using Excel on this one instead of injecting CO2, you might want to go with one that is known for being more successful to more people, like say HC, instead of, say, glosso. HC responds well to Excel from what I hear. It's hard to tell you what other kinds of plants to use, because, well, there are so many of them to choose from! Just go with ones that other people successfully use with an excel tank. Various rotalas come to mind... but seriously, at least narrow it down first before asking which plants to use, lol. I suppose I could just post a link to the Plant Profiles page and say "Use these plants."

As for tank #2, You could easily just use one of those clip-on nano fixtures that uses a 10w screw-in PC bulb. I know Red Sea makes one, but there are many others. An LFS close to you probably has them. Or you could use one of the popular 27w desk lamps from Home Depot, but on a 1.5g tank you better keep it HIGH up in the air or you'll have algae in no time. I already keep mine about 12" above my 2.5g tank. For plants, see my notes for tank #1. ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 6" cube which is less than 1 G and a 7" cube which is just a little over 1.5 G. I have been very happy with my set ups so I think I can share. I can't take very good pictures of the tanks because the glass is very thick and has too much imperfection so I have stopped updating my journal with pictures.

Substrate: Aquasoil

Light: Clip on 9 W that comes with the the Azoo Dazzle (cheap), not using the filter or the tank. Opted for a glass cube from craft store.

Filter: none, but air stone turns on with light for 6 hours/day

Flora: HC and Hairgrass

Fauna: started with 4 Endlers fry and now they've become young adults so 2 were recently taken out.

Hardscape: garden rocks

Excel: 3 drops/6" cube; 4 drops/7" cube daily

WC: 1/2 tank once weekly

Heater: none. Room is warm enough even in the winter so hopfully the fish will not have to be moved soon.

I have never had algae issues with these 2 tanks. HC and Hairgrass were just trimmings from main tanks and were planted sparsely initially. Now HC has grown into a nice 1/2" thick carpet. The Hairgarss has runners all over the place and I have to trim it just about once every 3 weeks.

I did use sand in one of them at one point. It did fine but I didn't keep it long enongh before I switched to Aquasoil for the look.
Thank you so much for sharing the specifics of you tank with me. Reading over it was very helpful. I'll have to go to my LFS tomorrow and see what kind of lights they have. I have seen those glass cubes from craft stores and they seem like they would make great tanks! I had to opt for my walmart tank that is not as pretty since it has a lid and if my tank was open top, my cat would eat my fish, lol.

Not to jack your thread but I'm surprised you can use this potting soil in a tank without issues. The label indicates its main source of nitrogen would be from poultry litter, meaning urea, ammonia, and likely nitrite. If you weren't already using it I would have told you to expect problems.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eye out. I have had it in my 70 gallon since the beginning of June and have had no problems at all, but my plants are growing like crazy. I read before that Diana Walstad recommended it for her Natural tanks, but maybe I'm wrong.....

For tank #1 you could pretty much try out any of the common carpet plants. Seeing as how you're using Excel on this one instead of injecting CO2, you might want to go with one that is known for being more successful to more people, like say HC, instead of, say, glosso. HC responds well to Excel from what I hear. It's hard to tell you what other kinds of plants to use, because, well, there are so many of them to choose from! Just go with ones that other people successfully use with an excel tank. Various rotalas come to mind... but seriously, at least narrow it down first before asking which plants to use, lol. I suppose I could just post a link to the Plant Profiles page and say "Use these plants."

As for tank #2, You could easily just use one of those clip-on nano fixtures that uses a 10w screw-in PC bulb. I know Red Sea makes one, but there are many others. An LFS close to you probably has them. Or you could use one of the popular 27w desk lamps from Home Depot, but on a 1.5g tank you better keep it HIGH up in the air or you'll have algae in no time. I already keep mine about 12" above my 2.5g tank. For plants, see my notes for tank #1. ;)
Thanks for all of the feedback :) I'm going to see what kind of lights my LFS has, but its good to know that Home Depot carries something as well. Just wondering.... I have a regular lamp that sits on the table over my aquarium. Would that lamp provide adequate light itself, or should I move it and use an aquatic light? It is a regular lamp with a 75 watt bulb and stands about 2 feet above my tank....

I went through the plant profiles, but seriously, I have no idea what I am looking at. All of these medium/high light plants are completely foreign to me. I have made a list of what I like, and maybe some of you can give suggestions on what would work in each tank, and maybe give some advice on placement as well.

Dwarf Bonsai
Dwarf Hair Grass
Bacopa
HC
Pearl Weed
Star Grass
Sunset Hygro
Hygrophila difformis
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia palustris
Mermaid Weed
Weeping Moss
Christmas Moss
Rotala

Sorry, its kind of a long list lol. Thanks for all the feedback so far, and I'm looking forward to reading what other imput you guys have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts