The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I know it was overkill, but I hate how ugly it is... Suggestions?
You hate how ugly what is? Heaters in general? Then just buy one of those cheap Tetra ones at Walmart. They are actually nice looking, and black. They are only like 6 inches long. And if you aren't already aware, they can be applied horizontally to the glass... you don't have to have it vertical. Then you just put it behind a rock, or driftwood, or even plants.

You can use the in-line heater, it's just overkill, and you'll be using way more electricity than is necessary.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
EDIT- Personally I'd go with a standard 50w submersible. In fact, I highly recommend the Walmart one. I'm using one on my own 10g, and aside from the fact that it's set to a fixed temperature (don't remember at the moment... ~77 degrees or something), there's nothing for me to complain about. It works beautifully. And it only cost like $12 or so, if I remember correctly.

Yes, higher wattage heaters heat the tank up more evenly... on big tanks! Your tank is too small to worry about that. ;)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Pretty much. Except for the "making your tank more pretty" part, since the submersibles are just as hidden as the inline ones, if you put them behind a rock or bunch of plants.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
jmhart, I have a 200w inline Hydor w/ 5/8 fittings want to do a trade? I need a 300w for the 120-p I'm building :)
Almost worth it, except I've already got in plumbed in.

mott and jmhart.
I'll buy either one of those that you guys have. LOL :D
Still looking for one, eh? I got all 3 of mine off ebay.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.