The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still new to the live aquatic plant world and I got some plants I'm going to be adding to a tank. I want to put some of them in terracotta pots for aesthetic reasons. The pots will be mostly for some of the front and middle plants I plan on using. Some like the Java moss I'm going to glue to decorations and hopefully have it cover it.

The two plants in front are going to be an Anubias (Not fully sure which one yet but a small variety one) and Crypt Wendtii.

Other plants are:

Lemon Bacopa
Amazon Sword
Anacharis
Java Fern
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Regen

My question is what minimal size pots should I get or should have. I was thinking 2 inch diameter pots but wasn't sure if that would be too small or even too big. I tried to look up info but I keep just finding on how to plant in the pots or for ponds. Nothing on tanks. It's a 55 gallon tank I have in case that helps.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
So I'm still new to the live aquatic plant world and I got some plants I'm going to be adding to a tank. I want to put some of them in terracotta pots for aesthetic reasons. The pots will be mostly for some of the front and middle plants I plan on using. Some like the Java moss I'm going to glue to decorations and hopefully have it cover it.

The two plants in front are going to be an Anubias (Not fully sure which one yet but a small variety one) and Crypt Wendtii.

Other plants are:

Lemon Bacopa
Amazon Sword
Anacharis
Java Fern
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Regen

My question is what minimal size pots should I get or should have. I was thinking 2 inch diameter pots but wasn't sure if that would be too small or even too big. I tried to look up info but I keep just finding on how to plant in the pots or for ponds. Nothing on tanks. It's a 55 gallon tank I have in case that helps.
The sword will want something bigger then 2". Probably 4" if its a 'small sword' or 6" if its one of the bigger varieties. Everything else could grow one to 3 plants in a 2" pot.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It would seem odd to me to put an Anubia into a pot?

Much better attached to driftwood or a rock.

But I guess as long as the rhizome isn't covered. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
They totally look like a terrestrial potted plants I used to attach coffeeofolia to lava rock and put it in a pot. Used this in many a temporary betta display.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pots will mostly be above the substrate for what I have plan and not much substrate inside the pots or any at all for most. Plan is to attach most of the plants to something and then place them in the pot. I have this house that's going in the tank and I wanted to have this almost home under the water look which is why the pots. I just wanted to make sure I give the plants plenty of room in the pots to grow and not constrict them too much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts