The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a 2213 on a 10 gallon and will be moving up to a 55 gallon soon. I am trying to figure out the best filter to run on the 55g in addition to the 2213. I will be using pressurized CO2 and a 4x54 T5HO Catalina setup. I was looking at the 2217 because I love my 2213 but wonder if this would be enough. The 2076 seems like it would be nice but I would like some input in addition to my searching the forums :) Thanks for all I have learned from you guys through your postings here :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks Lnb for the input. Are you aircrew of some sort judging from your avatar?
No, just flying home from a vacation, having my camera with me and being incredibly bored. Who can resist shooting a gorgeous sunset when it's in your face!

I actually wanted to join the air force to become a pilot but in "those" days there wasn't much of a demand for female jet pilots. I'm talking about the 1960's. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I use 2 x 2217 on my 55g.

FWIW ....... if you have the space, go for a 75g. I wish I had!
+1 on 75g. 55g is way too shallow. I'm running 2028 and 2217 on my tank, but if I would do it again, I would choose 2x2217.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's a beautiful pic Lnb and I have taken many like it from my aircrew days flying on the KC-135 (which has been around since the 50s). I took your advice and ordered the 75gallon tank which surprisingly costs the same as the 55g starter kit I was planning to get minus all the unneeded accessories.

Thank you bsmith and smoq for your input...I guess my question now that I'm getting the 75 gallon is should I just ditch my 2213 in favor of two 2217s or keep it and get something a bit more powerful than the 2217 to make up the difference?

·
Registered
423 Posts
nothing beats redundancy. 2x 2217. keep the 2213 around in case something happens.

Good move with getting the 75. I'm actively looking for a 75g or any tank that fits a 48"x17" stand. I got a 55g for a steal (moved up from a 20g) but I now feel it's too short. I have 2x 2215 and it's not bad. I have 2 Koralia 1s giving me some extra current.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well it's a beautiful pic Lnb and I have taken many like it from my aircrew days flying on the KC-135 (which has been around since the 50s). I took your advice and ordered the 75gallon tank which surprisingly costs the same as the 55g starter kit I was planning to get minus all the unneeded accessories.

Thank you bsmith and smoq for your input...I guess my question now that I'm getting the 75 gallon is should I just ditch my 2213 in favor of two 2217s or keep it and get something a bit more powerful than the 2217 to make up the difference?
75G :proud: .......... I would die for one but have reached my limit for tanks.

2 x 2217 ......... go for it!
I "had" a 2213 on a 15G heavily planted tank and it was barely enough. Switched out to a 2215 and that's doing well. Personally, to do it right from the get go. Keep the 2213 as a spare for emergencies, hospital tank or whatever and go with 2 x 2217. If that's beyond your budget at the moment I would get at least one 2217 and replace the 2213 with another 2217 when you can.

Lots of sales and free shipping offers going on right now. Check out Big Als, Foster/Smith, The Pet Place.

I just checked Ken's Fish and the 2217 is going for $129.95 didn't check the shipping costs though. Ken's Fish is a hidden treasure for supplies. http://www.kensfish.com/eheimcanisterfilters.html

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
hey, i'm not sure what kinda flow you are looking for, but look into running a 2260 it is unreal. ton of flow, ton of media, i run one on my 75 with wayyyyyy too many fish and i have amazing water. lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do you fellas find its better to run two smaller filters then one larger one?

I'm currently an HOB filter guy (first tank), and was just curious. I'm running an aquaclear 70 and 50 on my 46. (each set to about 200gph). I kinda of like having the extra set of media to play with, but have sometimes wondered if I should have just gotten a 110 instead.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
FWIW, redundancy is sort of a safety matter.

If one goes you have the other to rely on. Some like the factor that they can clean one and not have the possibility of the tank recycling bcause there is not enough biological matter left after cleaning the filter.

I find that it helps circulation in larger tanks to divide the tank by using two instead of one. I personally don't think one large filter will provide adequate circulation for tanks 55g and larger.

Since I keep a lot of livestock, I'm in the camp of members who believe more is better than less. My thinking may be different if I had a plant only tank.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Do you fellas find its better to run two smaller filters then one larger one?

I'm currently an HOB filter guy (first tank), and was just curious. I'm running an aquaclear 70 and 50 on my 46. (each set to about 200gph). I kinda of like having the extra set of media to play with, but have sometimes wondered if I should have just gotten a 110 instead.
IMO that's a better setup than a single 110.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.