The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a few blue diamond shrimps today and as I poured them into a container to start acclimating them, I spotted a few tiny babies in with them! I'm not familiar with what to do and if I should separate them? And if they survive, how should I take care of them?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Get something along the line of bacterAE. It creates a biofilm for them to eat. No need to seperate, and if they have food, they should live no problem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get something along the line of bacterAE. It creates a biofilm for them to eat. No need to seperate, and if they have food, they should live no problem.
Oh, alright. Thank you! I'm just worried they might get eaten :( And I actually dont have any moss in my tank atm.. I'll look into the bacterAE though. Thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can't say if they will be eaten without knowing what else is in your tank. I'd guess you have 3 days to get a hold of something. Maybe your LFS has some algae you can have. Lol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can't say if they will be eaten without knowing what else is in your tank. I'd guess you have 3 days to get a hold of something. Maybe your LFS has some algae you can have. Lol.
Well for now I have 4 ghost shrimp but I'm considering taking them out because I feel like they could eat the shrimplets. I have 2 amanos and 4 adult blue diamonds and 2 african dwarf frogs in a 10g. And yes, I know the frogs are a threat to even adult shrimp but I'm just going to see if they can coexist in my tank. If I find my frogs hunting my shrimp I will definitely have to move them. But otherwise, I wouldnt think the frogs are much of a direct threat to the tiny shrimplets due to their poor eyesight..but we'll have to see.

Although I do have a bit of algae growth in my tank! Perhaps they'll stumble across it. But also I dont have a filter intake sponge :( I hope they dont get sucked up into the filter lol

One of my adult blue diamonds is also berried. Is there any extra precaution I should make with that? I made a quick makeshift 'breeder box' for the shrimplets until I get a sponge intake cover. Not sure if its necessary but there are 6 shrimplets and I'd like to give them the best chance possible.

But I noticed they like to cling/hide on plants and such. The shrimps did come with a small bundle of plants that they are currently clinging to as I'm acclimating but it has quite a few types of algae growing on it and I don't want to introduce it into my tank. Should I put some plant clippings from my own tank in the breeder box? I do have a lot of salvinia minima so would that be enough for them to climb on the roots and eat some of the film on those?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Magic powder ->

You could also try bee pollen, its more popular than magic/ae for infant feeding.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Berried female - try to keep her as stress-free as possible. That's about it.

Yes, you can use plant clippings from your own tank in the breeder box. Some people like floating plants as it is fun to watch the shrimp hanging from them!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Magic powder ->

You could also try bee pollen, its more popular than magic/ae for infant feeding.
Awesome! Funnily enough, I was wondering where I'd get my hand on bee pollen but it turns out one of my family members has a whole jar of bee pollen granules that they use in their health smoothies! I managed to get a few and I've been trying to crush up the granules into a powder but it's a bit difficult since its a bit soft and wax-like. I'm not sure if the shrimplets are getting any. But I don't even know how often to feed. Is one granule per day enough?

Bump:
Berried female - try to keep her as stress-free as possible. That's about it.

Yes, you can use plant clippings from your own tank in the breeder box. Some people like floating plants as it is fun to watch the shrimp hanging from them!
Cool, thanks! She was doing great and exploring the tank when she first arrived, but I noticed she kept hiding a lot in one particular spot yesterday and today and I think it's because of the heavy flow in other spots? I turned off my airstone and I think it helped a lot because she finally ventured out around the tank again.

I actually decided to let the shrimplets roam free into the main tank because I was worried that they werent getting enough water circulation/gas exhange in their box. At first they swam around and were all over the floating plant roots but then eventually they all settled on the bottom and didn't really move for a long time. So I let them go because I figured there's more hiding spots and algae/bacteria in the main tank than their little container. I've spotted a couple here and there every so often if I look really hard lol so I think they're all still alive! I try to sprinkle some bee pollen in the tank once a day but I'm not sure if they are getting it. Anyways, I'm excited to see them grow up! :) Thank you for the advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts