The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 180 Gallon tank 72x24x24, that I plan to run CO2, and make it high light tank.

I have no idea where to even begin with picking light for this tank. I know I checked with Build My LED site, and it looks like I will need 2 lights, about $495 each. Though, I am not certain what type of lights to go with? 6300k? 10000k? I am thinking 60 on the beam angle, since my lights will be on my canopy about 14" above the water.

I am also open to going with T5's. I rather not spend 1000, but if this is best option, I don't have a problem with it, just need some advise, as I really don't want to get this wrong.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm currently building my own t5ho set up for a new 125g tank.
I'm going to use 6 6700k 39w bulbs.
And aluminum reflectors.
Each are 3 feet long.

You could add another pair of 39w bulbs and reflectors for the extra 6 inches of width that your tank has.

My total cost for reflectors(6) , ballasts (3), bulbs (10..case price) and 12 "end sockets" will be $225.

That's a pretty good price for 234 watts with quality reflectors, t5ho bulbs, and ballasts.

I purchased almost everything on Amazon.
I would be happy to post the links if you are interested.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.