The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang - I recently set up a 20 gallon high, and am planning out the inhabitants. I think I have a good idea of what I'd like, and would like some input on compatibility.

Tank specs -
20 gallon, heavily planted
Eheim 2236
very soft water - currently around 1dKH, 4 dGH. No clue what the pH is. pretty low, if I were to guess.
press. co2
T5HO

Fish -
Amano shrimp x10 (IME, these guys like to wander, so assuming this number will decrease)
Red Neon Goby x 1 pair
German blue rams x 1 pair
some type of schooling fish that isn't shy. I'd really like to find some Axlerod's Rasbora blue form x 12, but they are pretty rare. If can't find them, I was thinking of threadfin rainbows x6.

Will this mix work? and if so, are my numbers at all realistic?

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd tell you but I think you'd get a lot more mileage if you Googled those fish to find out what water parameters they do best in, diet, aggression, and what part of the tank they will most likely inhabit.

I think after you do a few minutes of research, your "want list" will change somewhat.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RMC - . I have researched the above species before posting. All seem to be non-aggressive, and as far as I can tell, all will do fine with soft water. I did find some variations with GH parameters for the rainbows, but i can increase my GH as needed. I believe the rams will find a "cave" or territory to stake out, and the the rasboras/rainbows will inhabit mid/upper level of water. I could not find lots of good information on the Red Neon Gobies, so perhaps that is what you are alluding to with your post.
I posted on here for advice on a combination that I thought would be successful, but wanted some input from hobbyists with more experience than I have. That is the point of these forums.
I'm not a huge fan of the whole "I know something, but I'm not going to tell you" game, so if you have something useful to add, I would definitely appreciate it! If not, why did you bother to post?

·
Registered
569 Posts
why did you bother to post?
I bothered to post because a lot of people could avoid inherent problems if they just took a few moments to research the fish they want before purchasing them. You said nothing about doing any research and YOU are not the only person that will be reading this thread. Sure, you can visit a forum or numerous forums and talk to a few people or a lot of people until you get the answers YOU want to hear but what works for some may spell disaster for others.

A cookie-cutter recipe in this hobby is practically impossible so suggesting that people research each species thoroughly is just good practice....... not a game as you called it. Some people mix certain species and never have a problem and others experience pure carnage. Some people keep Discus in hard water with no issues and others try it only to end up with some very expensive dead fish. If people do the research they'll have a better idea of what the risks are when trying something unconventional and will probably be better prepared to make adjustments as needed to avoid serious problems.

The goby you are thinking about is most likely Stiphodon Elegans. At the risk of getting another indignant response from you, there is some valuable information available through Google that may or may not sway your decisions about them and/or tankmates. You will likely find that one article contradicts another article. It's fairly common in this hobby.

Heck, I'd tell you that you can't raise an Oscar in a 20-gal tank and I'm sure somebody would come along and prove me wrong.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bothered to post because a lot of people could avoid inherent problems if they just took a few moments to research the fish they want before purchasing them. You said nothing about doing any research and YOU are not the only person that will be reading this thread. Sure, you can visit a forum or numerous forums and talk to a few people or a lot of people until you get the answers YOU want to hear but what works for some may spell disaster for others.
Honestly, I thought that asking a question about fish compatibility, on a aquarium forum, under the fish section, WAS research. To me, the opinions of those who have kept these fish in planted aquariums, with co2 and fertilizers and big water changes, is useful information. More so than a random website I found through a google search.

I'm sure as someone who sells fish professionally, your concerns are valid. But I'm not running out and buying these without a clue, and I would assume that by bothering to ASK an (I assumed?) appropriate question to those with more experience, (like a distributor/breeder. :)) I was being responsible. I'm not one to refuse good advice, and if someone were to refute information that these fish were compatible, (in a broad sense. I get that these are living creatures, and there is no hard and fast rule.)
I would heed it.

I've read what there is on Stiphodons Elegens. The only thing I've found that is at all concerning is that some people had issues keeping them with co2. Is this what you were hinting at?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
IMO it's easiest to plan stocking around one fish species.

If you start with German Rams, for example, you'll end up with a soft water tank kept in the low to mid 80s. It's always easiest to put together stocking lists using fish found in the same regions.

If you start with Rams, for schooling tankmates you'll be led to soft, warm water characins (ie Cardinals, Rummies, Pencilfish, Hatchetfish). Personally, for a 20gal tank I'd go with around of 8 of either one tetra species, Pencils or small hatchets (Marthae if you can find them) for the top (better not have any gaps in the tank lid!)

If your goal is to breed the Rams then I'd leave out Cories, as there isn't much "floorspace" in a 20H.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts