The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just noticed this white discoloration on one of my apistogramma near his eye. Any idea what it could be and if so what should I do? Pictures are attached, I tried to get as best pictures as possible. Anything would be helpful, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If a fish is injured, perhaps a scrape from a rock, there is a clean scoop of flesh missing from the site. This heals just fine when the water parameters are really good. Perhaps a few extra water changes. This would reduce the population of (possibly) infectious bacteria.

There are several diseases or parasites that can look like a white spot. Pictures are too blurred to see.

1) Ich. I do not think this is it. Spot looks too big unless it is several Ich organisms really close to each other.

2) Columnaris, a Gram negative bacteria. More often on the main body of the fish, but it sure can attack any part. Look up some pictures of Flavobacterium columnare, Flex, Saddle Disease (it has many names)

3) True fungus. More often seen on an injured area, or may move in on some tissue that has been compromised by Columnaris or other bacterial disease. A fungus usually look like white strands, perhaps wooly.

4) Lymphocystis, a sort of wart-like growth.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Is the dwarf gourami in photo a new addition to the tank?
Many import's of Colisa Ialia (dwarf gourami) bring with them iridovirus that could possibly affect other species.(incurable)
I might step up water changes to twice weekly for a few week's and observe the fish before I considered medication's.
If condition worsen's,then Maracyn and Maracyn II might be my approach used together.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Have seen fish get such cyst's, or sometimes pimples that heal on their own over time assuming water condition's are suitable. (hence the suggestion of stepped up water changes).
Could also be damage as other's have mentioned from flashing against something in the tank,or sparring with other fishes.
So long as no other fishes were showing symptom's and ammonia and nitrites are ZERO,then maybe I would just closely monitor the fish while providing clean water .
Clean water is considered by many to be most important medicine in your/my fish medicine cabinet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.