The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just started my first 10g tank ~3 weeks ago and a couple young convict cichlids were borrowed for cycling. A piece of driftwood and some plants (hc, microsword and red rubin sword) were added last Monday (8/31/2009).

I just started to see some kind of stringy and slimy stuff on the plants' leaves and on the glass. I am wondering whether anyone could ID the problem and suggest a solution. I have recorded a video of this unknown matter and uploaded to YouTube. Any help will be appreciated!!!

Link to the video

Basic info:
10 gallon tank
Marineland Penguin 100 (100g/h)
Plain gravel substrate
15W fluorescence
DIY CO2 @ ~ 1bps (still waiting on a diffuser)
Flourish and LeafZone once a week (still relying on the fish poop to produce N and P)

Water test result on 9/4/2009 (a day before water change):
pH 7.4
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 5ppm
nitrate 10ppm
KH 100ppm
GH 150ppm

·
Registered
143 Posts
From my limited knowledge of algaes, it looks like hair algae. From what I know, most algae eaters will eat that. And higher water movement may disturb it from growing. You could try to remove it with a toothbrush, just grab some and twirl.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my limited knowledge of algaes, it looks like hair algae. From what I know, most algae eaters will eat that. And higher water movement may disturb it from growing. You could try to remove it with a toothbrush, just grab some and twirl.

Thank you for your reply. I have been reading quite a lot trying to identify what that is. This is one of the sites with pictures..

The tank (~3 weeks old) is still cycling and once the nitrite level goes down, I am thinking about getting 2 otos and some amano or cherry shrimps to help cleaning the tank. What do you think?

Put some fast growing stem plants in to cut down the nitrate and nitrite, it will also help starve the algae.
Thanks, I was thinking about it too, but I was too afraid that those plants will eat up all the nitrate in the water since I am only relying on fish poop for it, and also I am still testing on the CO2 and lighting level (Total NOOB). I will find some at a LFS. Hopefully it will help.

Oh, btw, what do you suggest on some fast growing stem?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hornwort or Wisteria should do the trick. Either one should be fairly common in most LFSs. there are others, but I've had good luck with both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts