The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a solution for silently dissolving 100% of co2 before it hits the outflow. I've considered:

DIY reactor
Ista co2 reactor (loud)
Inline atomizer (bubbles)

I want the prestige clean clear water look with no bubble and I want it silent. How do people accomplish this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Best I've been able to achieve so far is running my in-line through a Maxijet 900 power head configuration. It is a temporary hookup while I await an external pump to arrive. I say it's best because it has the smallest micro bubbles I've seen so far, much better than the ISTA Max Mix reactor I was using. The bubbles are so small you don't see them rising to the surface, they come out of the power head looking more like a mist that quickly dissipates. My in-line disperser is on the intake side of the power head and the CO2 is not only being agitated by the impeller it is then in a strong out flowing current.

If you want better than that I would think you need to feed the in-line through an impeller into some type of chamber where those micro bubbles would be able to dissolve before entering the tank. However any sort of chamber, be it a reactor or the DIY unit above could allow some of the CO2 to collect in it and form real bubbles before passing in to your tank. Try it on the intake of a canister filter I've read folks claiming this to be best.
I'll be happy enough to put my in-line disperser on the in-take of the external pump. Based on my BPS count of about 1 and my drop checker's light green color I must be getting a good rate of disolved CO2.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What do the pros use?
Reactors. They are by far the best. Most are silent. The reactor on my 12 is completely silent. The reactor on my 190 makes some noise because I'm pumping A LOT of CO2 in it. It's probably 1/10 as loud as a power filter. If I close the cabinet doors I can't hear it.

I'd recommend against using any kind of impeller to "chop" up the bubbles. In my experience that's very noisy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
ill comment on mustang as well. I run a 20" reactor on my 220g and it is not quiet at all. The cabinet doors do suppress most of the noise, but it is still noisy than my filters.

There's no good solution for a tank that large unless you're going to spend a lot more money. But I believe these reactors work great for smaller tanks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for commenting. I think I will play around with my ista reactor since I already have one and go from there. If there were a hands down sure fire way to go I would just go that route but it sounds like there isn't.

My goal is the following:

Keep equipment out of the tank
Dissolve 100% co2
Keep is as quiet as possible

I will consider a diy reactor if this ista drive me crazy which it probably will. Thus tank is in my living room. I'm really surprised there isn't a sure fire product for dissolving co2 out there. Someone could design one and make a ton of money if packaged and marketed property.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for commenting. I think I will play around with my ista reactor since I already have one and go from there. If there were a hands down sure fire way to go I would just go that route but it sounds like there isn't.

Dissolve 100% co2

I will consider a diy reactor if this ista drive me crazy which it probably will. Thus tank is in my living room. I'm really surprised there isn't a sure fire product for dissolving co2 out there. Someone could design one and make a ton of money if packaged and marketed property.
100% dissolution is achieved through either additional water volume, pressure, or temperature. My father in law wants a reactor but doesn't want a big tube or filter housing sitting in his kitchen. And the pressure or temperature requirements for full dissolution are too hard/costly to achieve and again would take up more space.

Until they change the laws of physics larger devices are required and companies don't want to touch something that a very small percentage of hobbyists would buy.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I find my reactor works very well and very quiet. But there is a price to pay. You do have to have a canister or other way to move the water and you also have to size the reactor correctly.to small is the most frequent fault I see. They get bubbles that come out due to short contact time within the reactor. But then those are often built too small because folks don't wwant a big reactor. A big reactor holds the gas in until it disappears, but then it IS big.
Given a choice between a poorly designed and funtioning reactor or putting it outside the stand, I would go for outside and design a cover for the needed equipment. I can excuse taking an extra six inches of floor space but I can't excuse bad equipment, even if I had to rebuild it.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
My inline is quiet enough but not silent. One thing to consider, can you seal up your stand better? I find all my equipment makes some noise but in an almost sealed stand, I can't hear anything but the faint sound of my inline heater switching on and off. Open, it's quiet but not silent, I am going to guess 10DB-15DB or so louder.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm running an 18" Rex reactor on my 90g tank and it's silent. Or at least I can't hear it over my filter (also very quiet).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I haven't looked up how to make any of the reactors mentioned so wondering what is the source of the noise? Is it just water going through the tube? The CO2 going in shouldn't cause any noise. I have an Aqua Medic reactor 1000 that I removed everything from inside of it and it makes zero noise hooked to a Eheim 2080 in line and running on a 125g. My bps is around 4 to 5 bps.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

·
Banned
107 Posts

Dissolve 100% co2

I run 2 large Ista Mix Max's on my 29g. Both reactors are on the same return line , Co2, and canister. Using 2 cuts down on the sound by a large amount although I never intended that or cared about that. It is 100% silent in my stand cabinet when it's closed while a single reactor created some audible noise outside my stand. I can get about 7-8bps without seeing any micro bubbles. Any higher I start seeing minimal micro bubbles.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I haven't looked up how to make any of the reactors mentioned so wondering what is the source of the noise? Is it just water going through the tube? The CO2 going in shouldn't cause any noise. I have an Aqua Medic reactor 1000 that I removed everything from inside of it and it makes zero noise hooked to a Eheim 2080 in line and running on a 125g. My bps is around 4 to 5 bps.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk
The reactors "churn" the CO2 until it dissolves. The churning sounds like bubbles going through a pipe. On smaller tanks you don't have much CO2 in the reactor so there isn't much noise. On larger tanks the reactor might be 5% full of CO2 at any one time so you hear the water flowing through the bubbles.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I`m wondering why the ultra silence, I get it`s in your bedroom, but unless you work nights & sleep during the day it should not be an issue.
Noise from a reactor without co 2 injected is a design flaw.
I run a atomizer , eheim eco comfort filter to a 15 gln in my room- no soda effect or disturbing noise, even in my larger tanks with dual eheims pro2 & an eheim compact plus pump driving the in line DIY reactor, you would be hard pressed to find the minimal noise disturbing.
Regards

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The tank is in the middle of my living room. I just want minimal noise coming from the fish tank. You know... because either your watching TV, people are over, or your fiance might say something. :hihi:

Personally, the noise doesn't bother me. I've got it under control by wrapping the co2 reactor with a towel to boggle down some of the noise to a tolerable level.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts