The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok there is lots of lage in my 75 and lots in my 18 both have the same algea could someone advise me on a treatment apart from manual removal and
H202 I have tried everything but nothing has worked so far.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Many exceptionally large water changes, balance lighting/ferts/CO2/water parameters.

Throw away any plants that can't be saved. Remove as much as possible. Add algae eaters.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are lots of algae eaters i have taken away ferts, lowered and reduced photoperiod and intensity, increased co2 nothing so far is working... As for water changes i have to work on that but i did one today.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Take a clump out, and put it in a white bowl and take a picture for us. What's the texture? Is it of a rough brillo pad? It shouldn't be slimy at all...rough, tough.

It looks an awfully lot like clado.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope its smooth and slimy deffinatly not clado it doesent branch like clado.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If it's not clado, then good!

Some algaes are due to low phosphates, so what I would do is trim/remove all the algae I can, do a large 50-60% WC, lower your lighting to half what it is now, if you can, get a drop checker and bump up your CO2 to optimal levels, and dose fertilizers as usual. You can try to dose a little less than what you usually do, but do dose.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will get some phosphate and lower lighting my co2 runs at 6.0 ph on a selunoid ill bump up Kh though but im confsed about this drop checker ?

also ive only been dosing tropica master grow with the addition of nitrogen when needed do i need to dose any thing else ?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Macros are NPK (nitrogen, phosphate, potassium)...if you dose GW ferts, then the potassium should be enough.

Your TMG is for micros, so you're going to have to start dosing phosphate and nitrogen consistently.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so i need to go out and buy a bottle of phosphate i would prefer to dose a soloution rather than the whole EI method im in the process of redoing my tank... lights, plants, fish, driftwood, external co2 diffusior and scissors are needed so money is short plus shipping from america is a pain and a hassle.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Ahh. You can go to a nursery. They might have some raw ferts. Other than GW, I'm not sure where else you can get dry ferts. If you can get your hands on some KHPO4 and KNO3, then you'll be good to go.

I sent you a PM regarding the drop checkers.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have been dosing dry ferts for a few years and I only live 1/2 an hour away from you!! what do you need ,maybe I can help you,
Homegrown Hydroponics is the best place to buy all kind of dry or liquid fertilizers.
go on their site and you'll find one near your home.you can find almost everything you need right here in Toronto.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
What is floating at the top? I'm wondering if you have a bunch of water lettuce and its blocking too much light?

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
What is floating at the top? I'm wondering if you have a bunch of water lettuce and its blocking too much light?
looks like hair algae that died by drying out and baking in the light. notice the water level.

D.Gily: you win the award for the worst case of algae I've ever seen! gl in sorting that out. How did it get that out of hand in the first place?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you guys should have seen it a few months ago i pulled out a ball of staghorn the size of a small cat the whole right side top of the tank was covered in it !

I used to have a decent tank but as i am redoing it completly to acheive an almost full south/central american biotope no money has gone towards it since before christmas.

I am hoping to be purchasing....

1 4x54 watt TeK T5 light with mounting kit and 6500 K bulbs...around 450.00

1 aquamedic 1000 external diffusior 70.00

1 24 inch pro aquarist scissors 26.00

Sea Chem Flourish 2 L 35.00

Dry Ferts? 15.00

plants 118.00

Driftwood(free im going to find my own since i cant get manzita in canada)

Fish 150.00

shipping and duities for various products on the list 100.00-200.00

a grand total of (estmate) 1014.00

did i mention im on a student budget with no job ?

as you can see ive got my work cut out for my self a birthday collected a bit of money hopefully i will be able to afford my lights.

algae has always been a problem in my tanks especially this one my 18 gallon nano was looking good for a while but the co2 died.

lets see what has happend in the past month ?

one of my 28 watt bulbs died... i lowered photoperiod by about an hour... i stoped dosing ferts... my co2 stablized and is set to come on when ever the ph hits above 6.0....i got rid of a huge amount of moss like a 2' by 1' piece got rid of a 2' by 2' java fern.

so lests see what i need to do.

1. Further lower photoperiod.
2. increase KH to imporve concentration of C02
3. Manual removal
4.More fertilizer

is this correct ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You should try a black out. Remove what you can by hand then seal the tank with cardboard and painter's tape so that ALL light is removed. Leave it like that for 3 days. This will kill a lot of it.

Check out the Barr Report for a better understanding of ferts and how they work. There is also a lot of info on algae on the site.

I would also look for a thread on over dosing Excel as a way to kill / reduce algae. There are numerous threads on this.

Good luck.

·
Banned
560 Posts
Wow That is insane. Pull that out. Never seen that big of a ball or mass colony in a tank before WOW. Looks like a healthy patch of algae IMO. You might want to sell that to someone who has Koi or turtles <--AS FOOD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.