1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has turned from this
Plant community Water Plant Rectangle Natural landscape

into this

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Vegetation Flower

Im trying to save and and clean it as much as I can but the carpet is a mess!
How can you possibly clean this?

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Flower Bedrock

if I run the sucker over the grass it will start to float and makes a worse mess.
I need some video on proper cleaning carpet method

I suspect that algae came from very intense lighting, not in hours but in lumen, plus a little bit of nutrient overdosing.
I am cutting down the lighting intensinty and the liquid fertilization,
I see some improvemtn and added a big crew of shrimps and ottos,
But still, maintaning my tank is a nightmare.
Please help

· Registered
4,655 Posts
You will want to figure out what is causing the algae. Otherwise anything you do to get rid of what is there will come right back. What is your fertilizer dosing schedule? What are nitrates like in your tank? How long is your light on? Once you get the algae figured out you can choose a couple of different paths for removal. Chemical, manual, or just wait.

· Registered
214 Posts
how could I measure that? I have high flow up to 2500 liters per hour in my filter
maybe what I'm wondering is it adequate enough to "comb" the ground cover of debris, it seems much of the algae is around the carpets. Just throwing some ideas out there it does sound like you have adequate filtration. The stem plants look more mature in the second pic, I'm also assuming more stems in the aquaria could possibly reduce overall circulation within the system. Its a beautiful tank would hate for you to give up on it.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe what I'm wondering is it adequate enough to "comb" the ground cover of debris, it seems much of the algae is around the carpets. Just throwing some ideas out there it does sound like you have adequate filtration. The stem plants look more mature in the second pic, I'm also assuming more stems in the aquaria could possibly reduce overall circulation within the system. Its a beautiful tank would hate for you to give up on it.
hmm... since I increased the filtration, I see better results, what you say could be one of the reasons I get algae. Time will tell

· Registered
344 Posts
View attachment 1048789

if I run the sucker over the grass it will start to float and makes a worse mess.
I need some video on proper cleaning carpet method
Well, there is this water change solution posted by Dennis Wong using a turkey baster

Water change to avoid algae

This may be the approach for your gentler/carpet plants especially if your current approach is sucking up the plants. And if you don't know Dennis he runs this site and is definitely an expert

· Premium Member
So many tanks...
699 Posts
Snails. get some snails.

Otherwise, start at the beginning for balancing. Full parameter testing, reduce lighting, re check any firts if you even need any since you have soil. Get some snails.. or shrimp.

· Registered
602 Posts
This may be a dumb question but are you sure you have enough co2? I was using a drop checker and thought I had enough but was still having algae problems. Then I got some good advice to check my ph drop and found I was not injecting enough. Since then my algae problems are quickly diminishing.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies, I am investigating every single of the causes. And no, my lights are not dimmable and I suspect the main reason of my algae. Shrimps and algae suckers are added with little improvement. I will try to measure my ph now.
I need the identification of this algae and possible chemical cure method please
Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Petal Groundcover

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant

Plant community Plant Terrestrial plant Sky Vegetation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts