The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
So, you have a tank with 0ppm of Nitrate... That should be 100% fatal to plants. Assuming your test isn't lying to you (nitrate tests are notorious for being off-calibration)

Nitrogen is an essential macronutrient for plants, they cannot live without it. They need it in the form of ammonia/ammonium, or nitrate... Since ammonia is toxic to fish, we usually try to keep our nitrates up enough to feed the plants.

That said, your plants look like they are currently exhibiting severe potassium deficiency. Since plants can only suffer one deficiency at a time, fixing that will probably cause the Nitrogen deficiency to show.

You probably need to look into fertilizers of at least some form if you want to grow plants. Your fish waste can often produce enough nitrate and phosphate for plants to live on if you change your water less often (or you can just add phosphate/nitrate fertilizers), but potassium is usually required.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I don't use execl, but I suppose someone will ask what excel as I understand this is like a family of compounds.
Not true.

Excel is a single product by Seachem... It's a carbon supplement, and the active ingredient an isomer of glutaraldehyde. It is not a family of different compounds.

Flourish is a fertilizer family by seachem, and there's several different versions of that. Most folks mean Flourish Comprehensive if they just say Flourish.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Imbalance? You generally don't need to worry about nutrient balance terribly strictly... Plants don't care if there's excess of nutrients. ie: if there's twice as much potassium as is needed, nothing bad happens. As long as you don't get into a toxic overdose situation, or wild imbalance that causes algae to crop up, you're fine.

As for the sand/gravel tanks... did they have a higher fish load than this one? Fish waste is a source of fertilizers, although it often contains little potassium.

I'm not sure why your water is staining.. It looks like driftwood staining to me, and you seem to have driftwood in that tank... Is this a different kind of driftwood than what you've used in the past? The Mr. Aqua Aquarium soil claims it cleans up driftwood staining, but there's probably limits to how much it can remove.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts