The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Heterandria Formosa in my tank for 4 days now, 6 adults and about 6 fry. They did great the first two days, but on monday I noticed that some of the fry were having trouble staying off the bottom. I came home today and noticed that one of the adult males was having the same problem. What do I do, what is causing this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not sure what the diet is on your type of fish. Iv'e never kept them before. Do you routinely add non-iodine salt to your tank?

I ran into a problem with some tropheus that I once kept that had special diet, so I would lightly add the salt I mentioned, but make sure you research the amount given. It normally assists their digestive system, to eliminate bloat.

Good luck

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's likely that they are having a swim bladder problem. Did you feed them shrimps or worms? They sometimes cause the problem. You should stop feeding them for a few days and then give them peas. I'd add aquarium salt: one teaspoon per gallon.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd change foods, and green peas would be a good idea if they happen to be constipated. Lightly blanch them, peel, and mash before feeding.

If that doesnt work, you might try treating with antibiotics, since I believe the most recent research indicated that the most common cause of swimbladder issues is infection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.