The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2 chihiros vivid rgb 2 lights on 72 gallons water box. and im struggling with algae on new tank. first i was running then optioon all and it was full light intensity which was too much.what light settings i should be using.
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Electric blue Parallel

·
Registered
343 Posts
The word I focused on was new. How new is the tank? There is a period where the tank is maturing and during that time, algae can pop up pretty easily.
As far as settings, just set the colors you want. I like 6500K and I like 6800K, so I remember those ratios and then simply reduce the individual intensities in the same ratio.
In your above image, if you like 6500K, I would drop each channel by 20. That maintains 6500K but at a much lower intensity.
Also, light duration matters, I keep my lights on for 8 hours. Some people go shorter, but somewhere between 6 and 8 is pretty "normal". After 6 months or so, if all things are going well, I would start bumping the intensity up very slowly and watch. Once I see a bit of algae, I drop just a few % and I'm there.
Hope this helps.

Keep in mind, those lights pump quite a bit of PAR, you may have to go even lower for those areas that overlap.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
What kind of plants do you have? Post a full tank shot? I have the 60 version of that light on my 20g 60uns. Believe it or not, I run mine at 5%( and I’m only using one). I used to run mine much higher and that was a big mistake. But you are running two and at a high intensity so you’re really pumping the gas with that light. Even though your tank is taller than mine, I’d turn it way down. You can still run both but reduce them to a lower setting. I love that light but it is way overkill for the majority of the plants available in this hobby imho.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@Fat Guy - there is only one size of this light, and there is a world of difference between a 20g and a 72g tank. Running two of them on a 70+ gallon tank, is exactly what the doctor ordered. However, as mentioned previously - OP get your intensity down.

I run mine for 13 hours, with a 3 hour ramp on both sides. So for me, that's 7 hours at full intensity, and 3 hours steadily increasing/decreasing. My tank is quite heavily planted, and I have each light suspended approximately 7" above the surface of the water.

If you want to run it with the ramp, use the "QuickSet" option, try this: 50% intensity, set to "ALL", and with the ramp and photo period that you want. (obviously, the on/off time are up to you) Save As whatever you want to call it, and then load the same program into your second light.

I'd work with some setting for a week at a time before making major adjustments. If you really can't get ahold of the algae problem, might need to put it on a timer, and have it turn off a couple times a day, until your algae dies down, and growth catches up.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
@Fat Guy - there is only one size of this light, and there is a world of difference between a 20g and a 72g tank. .
Ahh… I misread and thought he was running a wrgbii which has different lengths.

Regardless of tank size- my advice is the same. Turn the intensity down. Running 2 of those at 100% is not what the Doctor ordered. Nor even running them at 50% either. Also- Never told him to not run both lights….but we don’t know what the OP is growing and what the rest of the tank looks like here. All we get from the OP is minimal at best. It’s the “hey I’m getting a lot of algae and I’m running my lights at full blast”. The simple answer is turn your lights down. Like way down.

But What you should really ask the op is what kind of plants are they growing and what does their setup look like…are they running co2…what kind of fish…how much organic waste is in your water column etc. . We are all offering the same advice about turning the light down, that seems obvious, but if the op is running two of these full blast on a tank with minimal plant load or low light demanding plants or a tank with a huge bio load than it’s a completely different story. They need to be specific or all this tinkering of light settings will be all for naught. Stepping away from this one until the OP gives a more detailed response.

Is there really a difference between a 20g and a 72g? Of course. But is there a “world” of difference between the two as you wrote?…no not that big of a difference. The principles behind growing healthy plants underwater remain the same.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ahh… I misread and thought he was running a wrgbii which has different lengths.
I figured that is probably what you were referring to. Almost asked. But meh.

The simple answer is turn your lights down. Like way down.
That's all there is to say. This is the answer to the question, as asked.

But What you should really ask the op is what kind of plants are they growing and what does their setup look like…are they running co2…what kind of fish…how much organic waste is in your water column etc. . We are all offering the same advice about turning the light down, that seems obvious, but if the op is running two of these full blast on a tank with minimal plant load or low light demanding plants or a tank with a huge bio load than it’s a completely different story. They need to be specific or all this tinkering of light settings will be all for naught. Stepping away from this one until the OP gives a more detailed response.
Fair enough. My approach is a bit different. If someone comes into a thread looking for a quick answer, I'm inclined to offer one. And when that doesn't work, it becomes an iterative learning experience. Of course I know all these things. That's why I hinted that my own tank is heavily planted. Learning how to ask question is half the battle. If I asked this, and someone gave me an answer, and it didn't work, why didn't it work(?) would be the next question.

Now the OP has the benefit of both of our approaches, I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

Is there really a difference between a 20g and a 72g? Of course. But is there a “world” of difference between the two as you wrote?…well now your just being over dramatic. The principles behind growing healthy plants underwater remain the same.
So there's no difference in umol (Par) values, due to mounting height and/or difference in water depth, and corresponding light height? No difference in the effects of reduced water volume? OK. I stand corrected.

I'm now baffled then, at how I have a light that is more powerful than the model that you run at 5%, and I have no current issues to speak of, running it at full throttle for 6 hours a day. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

1 - 6 of 6 Posts