The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help me with my 33g build...Im stuck!

846 2
This is my first post on The Planted Tank! I have been busy over the past few months trying to get things together to get my 33g up and growing.

First let me tell you what I have going on so far:

33g, L-3', W-12.5", H-18.25"
Aqua clear 300 filter
DIY glass top
I have a light fixture that has 4, 40W, 48" T12 plant and aquarium tubes in it about 8 inches above the tank
haven't picked out a heater yet
2 medium pieces of bog wood, and one large piece of drift wood
unsure what kind of environment this is going to be, so no stocking options at this point
Tank not started cycling yet, still trying to completed the set up
Im going to build a DIY Co2 soon
my tap water is between 7.2 and 7.4

I feel I have WAY to much light for this tank. I was thinking about upgrading to a 55g to lower the WPG to 2.9, but what do I know!! This is my first attempt at trying to plant a tank!!

So my question is, if you had this set up, what would you do? Change anything? What kind of plants will grow? Change the filter? Leave the WPG, lower the WPG?

To tell you the truth, I am lost with plants. At this point I can change everything and go in any direction so I am open to ALL options! I have been doing research on different plants, but always end up just looking at the pictures in awe, imagining my tank looking so nice...lol

Any help with stocking plants, and changing the set up to ensure proper, healthy plant growth is GREATLY appreciated!!!! I want this tank to take off so I can convince my girlfriend we need more!! "Look how nice that is honey, we should get one for the kitchen."

Thank you all for your time and your help. Cheers!!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Aroid Addict
3,494 Posts
4 48W lights over 33g is quite a bit of light. Can you only run two of the lights? That would definitely make the tank more manageable.

DIY CO2 is nice, but you will quickly find out that it gets tiring real fast. I was to the point of replacing it every 5 days to keep up with my lighting, and it drove me nuts. I'm upgrading to pressurized now. You will definitely need fertilizers of some kind too. Dry ferts are much easier and cheaper, but the Seachem Flourish line is good for low tech tanks.

As far as plants go, even with only two of those bulbs running, you'll be able to grow almost anything. I suggest some from the Cryptocoryne genus, but I am hopelessly addicted to them so I'm a bit biased :).Take a cruise through APC's PlantFinder for lots of ideas

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

·
Administrator
12,174 Posts
I feel I have WAY to much light for this tank. I was thinking about upgrading to a 55g to lower the WPG to 2.9, but what do I know!! This is my first attempt at trying to plant a tank!!
I agree with you and legomaniac89. You have a lot of light for a 30 gallon tank. Reducing it to 2-3 bulbs (you can actually apply the WPG guideline here, since you are using T12 bulbs) would give you enough light to grow many plants (including high light requiring plants).

So my question is, if you had this set up, what would you do? Change anything? Leave the WPG, lower the WPG? What kind of plants will grow?
Definitely decrease the amount of lighting somehow. Or you could get a bigger tank. With 160 watts over a 55g, you'd still be able to grow anything.

Also as legomaniac89, I would avoid DIY CO2 if you intend to have a high light planted setup. This is because in high light, CO2 becomes a requirement, and fluctuating levels of CO2 will lead to severe algae problems (combined with high light, of course).

In addition, with so much light, you will need to fertilize (both your micro and macronutrients). Again, as legomaniac89 mentioned, the dry chemical route is cheaper and economical in the long run, but commercially available fertilizers will also work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.