The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, when i rescape my ten, i want to give it a name. like Iwagumi and wabi kusa and such.
I want the name to be something along the lines of "Island of the sticks" or "islannd amidst the sticks"
it represents the idea i am creating.
so far, with a few minutes of online translation, i have - Shima Uchini za sutikku

And of course, in french i have no problem- Ile des batons

but can someone tell me if the japanese even makes sense?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
no it doesn't make sense at all. It's like a japanese guy trying to speak english. Seriously lol.

Island of the sticks could be called something like...

Eda no Shima. or Edajima. Usually for a name you would say Edajima.

I think Edajima works the best.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wouldn't it be

Eda Jima? Cuz in japanese Edashima would sound weird so it would turn out to be Eda Jima. Right!!?? Or did I not know japanese for my 15 years old life?

you COULD say Eda no Shima, but EdaJima sounds more like a name a suitable for an aquascape.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Edajima is right also, but my wife has been speaking Japanese for 30 years, but you are very right! Just like iwo jima. My wife would kill me for telling you guys her age!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edajima it is then, thanks guys.
I knew shima means basically island, but i like the whole one word idea:)
thanks for this small lesson!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes I moved from Japan to San Diego at the age of 2. But my parents speak japanese and we live in japanese customs because my parents are also immigrants. So I'm an immigrant :-D. No American passport. O yah and I'm from Tokyo, Japan. Near Korakuen and Ikebukuro.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aren't we all immagrants, or descendants of them anyway.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure where my ancestors are from, but unless you're from a native american (north or south) bloodline, then you are technically a descendant of an immagrant, although it may have been hundreds of years ago.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn!
so the edajima ain't gonna work because i decided not to do the sticks. it was ugly looking, and now it's almost like a hidden pathway thing.

so i still want a japanese name for this, but i think i should make an american name for it first. any ideas appreciated though.

thanks again for all your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts