The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here who knows a lot about Gourami can give me a list of what you feel is the most peaceful to most aggressive Gourami?

I am working on a master list of peaceful vs aggressive fish here and I would like to add the information I find on this post to that master list

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...e-aggressive-peaceful-may-hurt-kill-fish.html

So far I have.

Peaceful:

1. Pearl Gourami ( Most peaceful Gourami)
2. Honey Gourami ( second most peaceful gourami)
3. Moonlight gourami

Semi-Aggressive Gourami:

Kissing gouramis
3-spot Gouirami
blue Gourami
dwarf Gouramis

Can anyone with Gourami experience weigh in on how you would rank the different Gourami fish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Most peaceful,= Honey gourami, followed by Pearl gourami,and then Moonlight gourami.
Nearly all of the gourami with possible exception of the honey gourami, are often aggressive with other male gourami. (especially three spot).IME
Have not kept the kissing gourami for they get/got a bit too large for my tank's at the time.
Colisa Ialia (dwarf gourami) imported,are prone to Iridovirus(untreatable), and they too can be aggressive with other males of this species.
With exception of the honey gourami, I would want 30 gal tank or larger to help fish stay out of each other's way should they exhibit male on male aggressive behavior.
I once kept two male Pearl gourami that would not share 75 gal tank without one constantly chasing the other.
Moved the aggressor to 55 gal and peace was restored.
Sometimes hard to find females of the gourami for many are not quite as colorful as the males and more colorful males sell better.
My two cent's.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I see your honey gourami and raise you a chocolate gourami.

I agree with the sentiment that the more space and hiding places each fish has, the less aggression there are in general (for almost all species).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
They are truly awesome little mouth breeders. Very meek.
Some people remove the little ones from the mom's mouth, as they don't eat while with fry.

check this variant...

Sphaerichthys vaillanti - Vaillant's Chocolate Gourami

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
One of these days I am going to break down and buy an ro unit and find a way to have more time to devote to water chemistry so I can have some really cool fish like these.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most peaceful,= Honey gourami, followed by Pearl gourami,and then Moonlight gourami.
Nearly all of the gourami with possible exception of the honey gourami, are often aggressive with other male gourami. (especially three spot).IME
Have not kept the kissing gourami for they get/got a bit too large for my tank's at the time.
Colisa Ialia (dwarf gourami) imported,are prone to Iridovirus(untreatable), and they too can be aggressive with other males of this species.
With exception of the honey gourami, I would want 30 gal tank or larger to help fish stay out of each other's way should they exhibit male on male aggressive behavior.
I once kept two male Pearl gourami that would not share 75 gal tank without one constantly chasing the other.
Moved the aggressor to 55 gal and peace was restored.
Sometimes hard to find females of the gourami for many are not quite as colorful as the males and more colorful males sell better.
My two cent's.
Can you mix Pearl Gourami with Honey Gourami?

So Honey Gourami are even more peaceful then Pearl Gourami?

I had always been under the impression that the pearl gourami was the most peaceful Gourami.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I think gourami in general are best kept in pair's, Male/female.
Honey gourami would not be able to hold it's own against the much larger Pearl gourami should the Pearl gourami decide to assert itself.
Might could place both in large tank or maybe not.
Most peaceful of the gourami would in my view be the sparkling gourami, and or chocolate gourami mentioned but they were not on the list you presented.
Good places for fish profiles in my opinion are Seriouslyfish.com and or TropicalFishKeeping.com under fish profiles.
I know the gentleman who authored most of the fish profiles at the latter site mentioned ,and he used info from other sources, as well as his own experiences.
He and I both left the site after new player's turned it into a largely Betta forum, and erased any mention of my friend's effort's with regard's to the fish profiles he laboriously worked on, and claimed the work as their own.
His name is Byron and I hope he is doing well.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Dwarf gouramis work nicely with 2 females, I've had a mate spawn with both under the same nest.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Dwarf gouramis are nasty fish. I had one that killed the other gourami, then proceeded to bully a krib until the krib nearly killed it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
hahah, yeah they can be feisty. Mine did ok in a large-ish community tank. For some reason it instinctively feared the Chinese algae eaters, so he would never completely drop his guard and go gung ho on tank mates. Once he gets to breeding, that's all he wants to do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I keep sparkling gouramis. I have about 10. They're very peaceful but would chase once in awhile. No harm done tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
How does this look? Are the levels right? 1-10, with 1 being peaceful and 10 being super aggressive?

Pearl Gourami (Level 2 very peaceful, note)
Honey Gourami ( Level 2 very peaceful)
sparkling gourami ( Level 3 very peaceful)
chocolate ( Level 3 very peaceful)
Moonlight gourami ( Level 3 very peaceful)
3-spot Gouirami ( Level 5 aggressive)
Kissing Gourami ( Level 6 aggressive)
dwarf Gourami ( Level 7 aggressive)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Your list lacks dimension, a fish's aggressiveness is not just about how aggressive it can act to some fish but also about how timid or shy they can be. Some fish are even disturbed by fast swimming tank mates, or don't eat fast enough to compete at meal times. Many fish act different while they are juvenile and fully grown too. How aggressive is the fish while breeding or just in the mood to?
There are many variables to make sure your fish is both robust enough, compatible in parameters, can get along with behaviour of tank mates etc. No matter how many list you make, sometimes fish are going to act completely counter intuitively. You will get the odd lion sleeping with the lamb.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Gouramis are like Betas, in that you never really know how they are going to be. They have very individual personalities. I had a dwarf Gourami in a community tank, that spit water at me every time I leaned over the tank, but it never fought with its smaller tank mates.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sparkling G's/Croaking G's seem very different than other G's. I've never had them, but from what I've read they could almost demand a new category for G's. Don't they 'dart' around, instead of glide? I've also heard they are extremely shy unless in perfect conditions. I'm curious about this fish.

Bump:
Use Latin names.
Proofread your list.
But Latin can be adflictio.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Gouramis are like Betas, in that you never really know how they are going to be. They have very individual personalities. I had a dwarf Gourami in a community tank, that spit water at me every time I leaned over the tank, but it never fought with its smaller tank mates.
I agree. All fish will attack to kill under the right circumstances. We need a list of fish that never kill :}

1 - 20 of 22 Posts