The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired a pair of A. Agassizi, and absolutely love them. I'd never kept cichlids before.

Right now, their only tankmates are 6 Harlequins, but they will be going back to the LFS as soon as I decide on a new dither. They are just too aggressive of eaters and would be a nightmare with their speed if the cichlids ever breed.

So, I need new dithers, a target fish, and whatever else would be cool in there. I am going to try to acquire amano shrimp when I can find them.

For dithers, I've heard good things about Black Neon Tetras, guppies, etc.

I was originally considering a dwarf gourami for a target, but the word on the street is that they rip a planted tank to shreds building their nests.

On another note, is aquabid about the only place to buy solo female apistos? Nobody wants to sell me just the female, and I want a harem. So far I haven't found any female Agassizis for sale without also being force to buy the male.

·
Registered
205 Posts
you can't beat a nice school of rummy nose tetras, about 12 or so for your 30 gallon should do nicely. see the thread on this page "cardinals or rummies" and see how many voted for rummies and everyone's reason why. plus, not that this matters to you, rummies and apistos are both s.american fish. i always like a tank that has fish at least from the same region of the world. but opinions are like a**holes, yada, yada, yada....nuff said.....i vote rummies!:proud:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Any shrimp that can fit in an Apisto's mouth should not be put in the tank. Apistos are hunters. I used to keep some ghost shrimps in a spare tank just to provide snacks for my Apistos. I love to watch them hunting.

·
Registered
946 Posts
On another note, is aquabid about the only place to buy solo female apistos? Nobody wants to sell me just the female, and I want a harem. So far I haven't found any female Agassizis for sale without also being force to buy the male.
Go to Aquafest 2009 this weekend and i can bet you you can find almost all fish, plants etc.. you can imagine! sunday is the big auction.:bounce:

http://aquafest2009.org/

-Brian

·
Registered
205 Posts
Shoot an email to Mike @ Southern Apistos.
http://www.mtfb.com/SouthernApistos/pricelist.html

He normally sells in pairs but he is easy to work with and may sell you a female only. I have bought pairs from him before and they have always been mated and ready to breed. His fish come from good stock and his live stock is always healthy and in good condition. Right now he has Apisto. agassizii Red II for $30 a pair. If he won't sell just the female you could by a pair and try and sell the male at one of your LFSs. If you are a member of a club you could try and trade the male with a fellow club member. Or you could put up a post and sell him on here, ebay or craigslist. There is always more ways than one to skin a cat.....

I assume you are going for a breeding harem of Apistos. I will tell you that many people have done just fine with only a pair. I have always kept only a pair in my display setups and have had successful breeding. I'm going to post a suggested method for doing just that very soon. Check it out and then decide if you really need the second female.

Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts