The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this one a week ago and I was sure it was a male. It was the dominant one in the tank, now I'm not too sure

Pic is a little dark

This one I just got today. The guy at the store also stated it was a male. Again I'm not too sure

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
from what i hear, belly color is not 100% either.
i was told to look for color on the black side spot. if there is blue over it, it is female (i think, doublecheck on that). it worked for me, i got a spawn, but they ate the eggs and later i got rid of em.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
They both look like females, belly is a great tell sign if they are in optimal water and in spawning conditions. Mine always are. Females bellys get a pright pink.

But they both look stressed witht he lack of color showing. What are your water conditions

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neither one of them fits the descriptions I've seen 100% for being a male or female. The most recent one is super bright and has a noticably pink belly that developed when I put it in the tank when I got home. Both have some blue sheen on the black spot. The one with the pink belly has a ton of blue sheen. I guess two females is better than 2 males?? Are they monogamous or will a male be good with 2 females? It's a 46g Bowfront. I'm a little hesitant to get a third hoping for a male

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They both look like females, belly is a great tell sign if they are in optimal water and in spawning conditions. Mine always are. Females bellys get a pright pink.

But they both look stressed witht he lack of color showing. What are your water conditions
PH is 7.4
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 30ppm

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ph is above optimal. these fish like soft, acidic water. wont kill em, but if you can lower the ph, theyd probably show better color and more activity.
I don't know how I left this out as I'm sure it plays a HUGE part, but since I had a heater fail years ago and cook a whole tank I have gone heaterless. Being as I keep my house at 72* I'm sure this is a big part. I'm going tomorrow to get a heater for this tank. The titaniums seem to have the best reliability I've seen

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
from what i hear, belly color is not 100% either.
i was told to look for color on the black side spot. if there is blue over it, it is female (i think, doublecheck on that). it worked for me, i got a spawn, but they ate the eggs and later i got rid of em.
the color on the black spot is genetic and not sexual. the belly is the only 100% sure way to sex them. i seen said on this board over and over again, and ime that has been the only certain way to sex them short of being a GBR or EBR.

I don't know how I left this out as I'm sure it plays a HUGE part, but since I had a heater fail years ago and cook a whole tank I have gone heaterless. Being as I keep my house at 72* I'm sure this is a big part. I'm going tomorrow to get a heater for this tank. The titaniums seem to have the best reliability I've seen

that sounds like it could be another issue. i kept in a ph where you have them, and they did fine.

if i were you i would add the thermometer bring the tank tank temp up, and see how they do. if they are still stressed out, on your next water include some r/o water, to bring down the ph.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.