The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!
\I hve a 55 gallon fish tank, of which 2 discus inhabbit. I have jungle vals, amazn sword, and some micro swords. My amazon sword and junlge vals have been the same height since i purchased them. My micro sword is grwoing...but at a slow rate. My vals and swords are producing roots like crazy!...but they arne't getting height!..I use flourish excel, trace, and iron. I have 216 watt light, but i use 108 watt 7000k blubs. I have a marineand canister filter, with a pwer filter as a back up. I have called every pet store in my area, and NO luck at all!..Please..any advice would be aswome!!!!
plant101

:iamwithst

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH! i forgot to tell you that my h is 6.6...temp is 80 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ect.....i have .5 ntrate for my plants.....i dose my tank with excel and trace once a week,,,i dose iron onc a month!.thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have co2...but thought excel takes the place of c02????.....i have a homemade c02 sytem...but doesnt work good...my recipe is 1 liter of warm water with 1 cup of sugar + 3/4 cups warm water with 2 tbsps of yeast...then top off bottle with warm water...it works...about 30bubbles per minute...but lasts about 2 days..and dats it..when i put co2 on..my plants didnt have a dramsatic change.....

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You have very high light intensity, which requires that you provide the plants with adequate nutrients to grow at the speed that the light is driving them to do. That means dosing nitrates, phosphates and potassium, plus trace elements. And, you need pressurized CO2 to be able to provide enough carbon for the plants. The other alternative is to reduce the light down to 54 watts, raise the fixture a few inches, and run the tank as a non-CO2, low light tank.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
i have co2...but thought excel takes the place of c02????.....i have a homemade c02 sytem...but doesnt work good...my recipe is 1 liter of warm water with 1 cup of sugar + 3/4 cups warm water with 2 tbsps of yeast...then top off bottle with warm water...it works...about 30bubbles per minute...but lasts about 2 days..and dats it..when i put co2 on..my plants didnt have a dramsatic change.....
Your amount of yeast is too high. It is basically eating up the sugar quickly, which produces a lot of co2 initially and has nothing left to consume in a few days. Start out with 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and go up gradually up to 1 teaspoon. I use a little under 1/2 teaspoon to get a nice rate for about 10 - 12 days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts