The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 80 gallon aquarium came with finished hood and 2 t8 lighting.. that are about 50 wat 25 wat per bulb 1 pink and 1 white my aquarium is 100x70x44 can i host some plants or no? i always wanted to host some plants :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
With your lighting, you will probably be in the low light category, so pick some low light plants like anubias and some crypts. Look through the Plant Profiles section on this website to find some low light plants. Don't expect them to grow fast, but you can definitely have plants. Even java fern and java moss should work, too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
With your lighting, you will probably be in the low light category, so pick some low light plants like anubias and some crypts. Look through the Plant Profiles section on this website to find some low light plants. Don't expect them to grow fast, but you can definitely have plants. Even java fern and java moss should work, too.
+1

Lots of people have low-light, low-tech tanks. Works fine with the right plants. Like Sierra said, anubias, crypts, java ferns, and mosses.

Not sure about the colors of your lamps (lightbulbs), though. Are they different colors for each end of the tank? Or front and back? Let us know the arrangement and K/kelvin ratings on the lamps.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would stick with T8 bulb's and low light plant's as suggested.
More light produced by T5 bulb's also increases demand for CO2 and more in the way of fertilizing (food )for plant's.
In their absence,,you are quite likely to grow mostly algae.
Much easier to get your feet wet so to speak with low tech,low light ,and upgrade as your knowledge increases.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
And just as a bonus, you may find that the light does well for you and you never need to spend for better. Plants and tanks all do slightly different things so I find there is never a real reason to jump higher than needed until we find what works in our tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But they are just 2 bulbs 1 pink and 1 white i would be able to host with only 50 wat some easy plants? they are just 2 bulbs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please correct me if i am wrong. does your tank dimension measure in cm 100x70x44cm which is 39.5"x27.5"x16" (L x W x H). let's say 16" H minus 1-2" substrates which will give you 14-15" from lights to your substrate, low light plants will do fine. when time to replace the old bulbs you can use 2 white 6700K no pink bulb (Rosette) needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts