The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a brand new Zoomed 501 Canister Filter for my 6.6 Gal Acrylic tank.

I am setting this up Palundarium-style, meaning the tank will be half full, but the water-portion will house 3 fish which need to be divided.

I have not used the unit yet, so I don't know the output/flow, but I hear it is somewhat "weak", but I see this as relative, since we all have our own ideas of what "weak" is...

The point is, I am concerned about each divided section getting proper water movement, so I had the idea to maybe split the Intake tube into 3, one intake for each section.

Then I began thinking, this will probably weaken the Intake/ Flowrate even more.

Neways, anyone with a 501 ZooMed want to give me feedback on how the fflowrate is with this filter??? I should probably just turn it on and see for myself, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys, before I do anything.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated!!!!! Thank you!
:hihi:

yoks

EDIT: I forgot to mention the Spraybar will be left original length, uncut...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have one. Used it for about a month now, and its great.

The flow is too strong in my 2.5 gallon, but I don't mind some extra flow. The flow is not good enough for a 10 gallon, and many people use it for 5 gallons, in that area. I think that splitting it into three would not be a wise idea. How many gallons do you suppose the splitted areas would be? If it would be around a gallon per split area, then I believe it would be enough flow. But any higher and it might be too low.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one. Used it for about a month now, and its great.

The flow is too strong in my 2.5 gallon, but I don't mind some extra flow. The flow is not good enough for a 10 gallon, and many people use it for 5 gallons, in that area. I think that splitting it into three would not be a wise idea. How many gallons do you suppose the splitted areas would be? If it would be around a gallon per split area, then I believe it would be enough flow. But any higher and it might be too low.

What do you have in your 2.5? I just got a Tom's Dive-Clean Mini for my 2.5. It has a spray bar and is very small. I have not tried it yet, but will keep you posted.
I am thinking this ZooMed filter may be just right for the 6.6.

Looking at the tank right now..... I would say you guessed right, it is going to be about 1 gallon per section........ I just don't really know how I would go about spitting it........:help:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deng, so I wonder what I can do?

It's not so much the water movement, but more concerned with the dividers preventing the filter intake from sucking up the fish waste at the bottom of each individual section. Although, bettas are relatively clean and if I have good bio on the sponge, maybe it would be ok?

Hummm...:confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how are you dividing the tank up? glass partitions?
Hi hi.. The tank is a 6.6 gallon and is about 23" Long....

So each section will be roughly 7 inches.

I am going to be using Black plastic canvas mesh for dividers, but I
m not sure that will allow for enough water movement......

What do you guys think? :help:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I should have got a powerhead...? :mad:

I wish I had thought of this before I bought the ZooMed *EHHHH*

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Are you going to be filling up the sections with soil or gravel or anything? We need a better idea of how it will be setup before we can help.

You can draw a diagram and then scan it in or take a picture of it and put it on Photobucket, or you can use Google Sketch-Up (www.sketchup.com) which is what I use to plan out my tanks and dividers, equipment, etc...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, Epic I made a sketch last night, but could not update lastnight, since my internet was down.

I hope what I drew makes sense....

The more I was looking at it, it seemed ridiculous to try to fit all these different tubes in a 6.6 gallon..... not really a lot of space in there, actually kind of cramped.

Then I thought, maybe if I cut the Sponge in half and remove half of the carbon chips, it would increase the waterflow!!!:icon_idea :icon_idea

Or I could stick a mini sponge filter in each section, but that just seemed ridiculous, having just spent 40 bucks on this ZooMed canister..... plus, I don't want to deal with a stupid air line/noisy air pump, etc etc....

:mad:

Anyways, I will post the sketch tonight, maybe someone can help me :icon_lol:

Thanks, Epic:biggrin:

EDIT: I also have to think whether or not the bettas will be bothered by the rain bar.................... *SIGH* :icon_frow

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If that 6.6 is the one I am thinking of, a "Bookshelf" tank, then the 501 is plenty, however, introducing those craft mesh dividers might be a problem.

Why not use the smallest powerhead you can find at one end (the spray bar side) and the intake at the other end, pushing the "clean water" towards the intake. You can easily vary the output of the 501 with some filter floss jammed around the sponge.
This should produce a fairly consist flow left to right or right to left.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok, ignore the white blob, I messed up my sketch there....

I'm trying, Epicfish :icon_frow
jhoetzl, YES it is the 6.6 "Bookshelf" Aquarium. Your suggestion about the powerhead would work a lot better, I think, if I didn't have the dividers up. I don't know, :icon_frow

This is a really exaggerated sketch, actually--- not drawn to scale at all...

I am not sure if the dividers are going to be positioned "diagonally" or parallel to the sides of the tank.

You see, the Driftwood takes up a good half of the tank.

If you can understand my lill isometric drawing, the dividers are going to made up of a piece of
Eggcrate, sandwhiched by 2-pieces of Plastic Canvas, as the outer edges are covered with "Great Stuff" expanding foam.

I HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE!!!:icon_frow

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is any of it going to be sloped? Or just flat?

Flat, is the plan........... :eek:

I am gonna try to get a good pic of this thing....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So a flat area with just dividers? No soil/sand and typical paludarium animals such as frogs and maybe hermit crabs, etc...?
Oh damn!! Sorry, I wasn't thinking... hahah sorry I just got home from work and totally brain dead......

I was thinking FLAT, just the huge driftwood on the right,
divided in 3-sections,
the only "land" area will be a 3x12 piece of cork bark,
which will be "hiding" the spray bar and maybe the area above the driftwood/ in the corner housing the heater.

Substrate, I have Schultz Aquatic Soil which I bought a month ago, before reading about it. I may return it.

I wanted to grow VALS SPIRALIS, but not sure my ,ighting is sufficient enough to grow that type of plant.

I want mostly ro grow floating plants, like duckweed and some bog/pond/marginal plants, as I am a NOOB at plants and need something hardy and low maintenance..................

So, I don't really know what to do about substrate, basically, since I don't want to fill this thing up. Mostly just want floaters....

No frogs-- I am having a hard enough time with just plants and fish.... ahha :hihi: :help:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I just had an idea to put an UGF plate , powerhead with reverse flow deal (minimal to no gravel) and just suck up the fish waste. And for plants, they will be floating and others will be potted pond/bog plants.
Would this work??:help:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.