The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that I have a fixture that will put a good deal of light into the tank, I need to plan a day cycle for my tank.

I'm gone for school/work up to 17hrs on some days, so don't have the chance to regulate it manually. I also like to have the light on when I'm home.

Can I set up a 'split day' and still give the plants time to do their thing at night? Night time is the time for growth for plants, right? I know they focus primairly on photosynthesis during the day and then respairation when there is no light for p-synthesis. Is this a concern when planning a day?

My idea:
I'm up early and home for a few hours (6-8am), then off to school. I normally come home around 10pm and go to bed around 12-1am. Can I set a timer to come on at 0600 and turn off at 1200, then come back on at around 2100 and off at 2400 and have no ill effects on the plants?

this would allow me to enjoy my tank while I"m home and keep the algae down if I have my thinking right. Is this a bad idea, or will it work?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's not out of the question. I was just looking for ideas to keep it lit while I'm in front of it. I could see a split period being stressful on the fish too, no?

It's just an idea, that's why I posted it here before doing it :)

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
well depending on where you tank is and other sources of light couldn't you just set your tank lights to come on at 10pm and turn off at 8am or something? This probably wouldn't be a good idea if the tank light will disturb your sleep or if there is natural light during the day that will disturb the fish.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would work, but it's in my bedroom. I may just deal with not having light in my tank in the mornings since I'm normally too groggy to see past the coffee cup anyway :)

10 hrs the norm? or less?

·
Registered
61 Posts
CODY6766,

Just an idea, i am in the same situation as you with school and work, and i want to see into the tank as well when i am up at all hours of the night.

What i am planning when cash is with me, is to install a couple Lunar light LED moduals from fosters and smith, it will give a nice blue glow from the tank when it is night time.

Just an idea, dont know if you have considered it

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.