The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm setting up a 10 gallon tank, and would like some help with picking out my plants. I've drawn up the general idea of how I would like my tank to look, but any and all suggestions are appreciated! I mainly need help with figuring out what plants will achieve the look that I have envisioned in the pic.

Bump: I've already chosen Dwarf Hairgrass "Belem" as the carpeting plant, and I was thinking about Downoi as the plants near the rock?

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Pogostemon and Alternanthera Reineckii were awesome reccomendations. That's exactly the look I'm going for behind the rock.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only problem with Blyxa Japonica is that this is a fairly small tank, and I feel like it would overshadow the rock. Maybe I could put it in the open space in the back left corner though? Something to think about.

Bump:
Alternanthera R. Var Rosaefolia is awesome..
Blyxia in a 10 would be more of a background plant..
Would I be correct in saying that Alternanthera R. Var Rosaefolia is just a slightly pinker version of Alternanthera Reineckii?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends on your light.

High light with CO2:
Foreground - DHG Belem
Midground - Downoi
Red plant - Ludwigia repens 'Red'
Background green plant - Rotala sp. 'Green'
Front corner plant - Micranthemum umbrosum

Low light:
Foreground - Cryptocoryne parva or flame moss (on mesh)
Midground - Anubias nana or petite
Red plant - Ludwigia repens 'Red'
Background green plant - Egeria densa
Front corner plant - Bacopa caroliniana or Bacopa monnieri

If your light is too low for stems, you could replace them with broadleaf plants. I recommend Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green' for the front and Ceratopterus thalictroides (water sprite) for the back. Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red' might work for the red plant, but I would give the Ludwigia a chance first. I've found it stays pretty red as long as your dosing is good, even without much light.
I guess I should have specified my lighting/CO2 huh? I'll have High light, and CO2, so I shouldn't have any problems on those fronts. I like the idea of Micranthemum umbrosum for the front corner plant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after reading through this thread and deliberating a good bit, here is what I have decided I'm going to go with:
Carpet - Dwarf Hairgrass "Belem"
Plants Around the Rock - S. Repens
Front Right Corner Plant - Ammania Bonsai
Back Right Corner Plant - Alternanthera Reineckii 'Purple' (It was on sale so I couldn't pass it up)
Behind the Rock - Pogostemon Erectus

I'm thinking about putting a Blyxa Japonica in the back left corner, but I figured I would see how these plants look first.
Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts