The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you all recommend a forground plant to go across the whole tank?

Plants from left to right are Sagittaria Platyphylla, Ludwigia Repens (just pulled from my emersed setup), Cyprus Helferi, dwarf sword (just pulled from my emersed setup), and Java Fern. The hairgrass never really took hold so I'll put what's left in my other tank.

Parameters are: 7.5ish 11gh 6kh med light no co2. Well established substrate of ecocomplete.

Looking for a plant that is about 2-4 inches that hopefully spreads via runners (if not that's ok) that isn't dwarf sag. I am looking for something of a different leaf shape than what I have.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
(not listing plants that are spread by runners) i like the look of limnophilia vietnam. Although you have to "train" it by constantly trimming it down. Elatine triada is another good one. A few that comes to mind is DHG belem, marsilea minuta, monte carlo, or if you have patience crypt parva would look really amazing considering it might take years to carpet.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marsilea minuta looks really cool. I'll have to read up on that. Dwarf pennywart looks awesome but everyone seems to think high co2 is required for it to carpet. Anyone doesn't think so or have history of carpeting it without co2? I have DHG and Monte Carlo in my other tank and emersed tank but I couldn't ever get it to really spread in ecocomplete even when the lights were high blasting co2 while ei dosing. I have seen others do it in ecocomplete but for some reason I never could. S repens still looks awesome lol. I like crypts and thought about them but I don't think I could handle how long it takes to spread. Maybe I'll set up a crypt tank with my other 10gallon that's just sitting there

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've read that people had success with S. repens in low tech, but I haven't tried myself. H. tripartita is also a good shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like h tripartita. Some of the pics I saw the plant was kind of leggy. Is that just a combination of not keeping it trimmed and possible lower light levels? I think I'm around 40 par (30" planted+ at about 15" from substrate) which if I can combine with keeping it trimmed will stay more bushy/compact? Thanks all for the suggestions so far

Bump: My LFS "the pet shop" in Mesa AZ just got some tissue culture S Repens. I'll be getting some of them next week and will start with that and some H Tripartita hopefully from someone on here next week as well. I'll be posting that on the WTB section next week.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends on your definition of leggy hahaha. I find it doesn't grow super compact unless you try make it do so, which I haven't done as of yet. I read you gotta push it down a trim, to mechanically retard it to make it grow compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. What I meant by leggy was more stem than leaf on the lower sections of the plant. I think what I'll do is have s repens in the front and use h tripartita right behind that as a transition to the background plants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.