The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would any CO2 guru know if this would work as the basis for my first ever DIY CO2 re-build?

Matheson Gas Dual Stage Deluxe Regulator 8L-580 4-50PSIG CGA 580

It's used but looks OK in pics and was used in a lab in good condition.

thanks for any help here!

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
It is probably an old Matheson series 8 regulator. It is probably from the 80s, so the diaphragm may or may not be worn out.

Also, as it uses a CGA580 nipple, you will need to swap it out for a CGA320.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh, I got it for cheap last night on a bid which was immediately accepted. I should have waited for your response.

I'll keep reading up but can the diaphragm be replaced at all and for a reasonable cost or does it not pay? I probably should have waited to find a Victor somewhere but what did I know... live and learn.

Thanks for the info, your comments back on the old CO2 thread are a big help too.

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Huh, I got it for cheap last night on a bid which was immediately accepted. I should have waited for your response.

I'll keep reading up but can the diaphragm be replaced at all and for a reasonable cost or does it not pay? I probably should have waited to find a Victor somewhere but what did I know... live and learn.

Thanks for the info, your comments back on the old CO2 thread are a big help too.
Diaphragms can be replaced, but you will have to take it into a welding shop (and they may not even be able to get the spare parts, as it is a relatively old regulator). It may cost more to replace the diaphragm (after parts + service costs) than to just buy another one off eBay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts